Interesting Political Move by the GOP.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Republican's are forcing democrat's to show their hand in the arena of common sense.<br /><br />________________________________________<br />House Blocks Court on Pledge Case Rulings <br /><br />By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer <br /><br />WASHINGTON - The House passed legislation Thursday that would prevent the Supreme Court from ruling on whether the words "under God" should be stricken from the Pledge of Allegiance. <br /><br /> <br /><br />In a politically and emotionally charged debate, Democrats said majority Republicans in the chamber were debasing the Constitution in order to force a vote that could hurt Democrats in the election. <br /><br /><br />Supporters insisted that Congress has always had authority to limit federal court jurisdiction, and the legislation is needed to protect an affirmation of religion that is part of the national heritage. <br /><br /><br />The bill, which was passed 247-173, would prohibit federal courts, including the Supreme Court, from hearing cases involving the pledge and its recitation and would prevent federal courts from striking the words "under God" from the pledge. <br /><br /><br />The legislation has little chance of advancing in the Senate this year, but it laid down another marker for politicians seeking to differentiate themselves from their election opponents on the volatile social issues of the day. Other "wedge" issues that have or could come up before the election include gay marriage and flag-burning. <br /><br /><br />The Supreme Court in June dismissed, on a technicality, a 2002 federal court decision that the religious reference made the pledge unconstitutional. <br /><br /><br />Rep. Todd Akin (news, bio, voting record), R-Mo., the author of the amendment on legislation before the House Thursday, said the high court is likely to rule differently if it considers the substance of the case and "if we allow activist judges to start creating law and say that it is wrong to somehow allow schoolchildren to say 'under God' in the pledge." <br /><br /><br />In such a scenario, Akin said, Congress will have "emasculated the very heart of what America has always been about."

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Interesting Political Move by the GOP.

'bout time!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Watch. <br />Groups will scream bloody murder about this. <br />It is OK for children to wear religious garb (sarongs, burkas), accessories (scarves covering their faces, dots or jewels on thier forehead), and ignore dress codes (turbins indoors when hats are not allowed, long hair, beards on high schoolers when shaving is required) because of thier religious beliefs, but Christian children cannot even whisper the word "GOD" in the building without a full constitutional crisis.<br /><br />Where did we lose this country?<br /> :confused:

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious, Kidd, but where do you live that they force people to shave and cut their hair in certain ways?

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kidd probably lives somewhere like where I live. The dress codes in our high schools have hair length requirements for boys, don't allow multiple piercings (the piercings may be allowed, but the jewelry that goes in them isn't), or tatoos that show. No hats are allowed inside at school, no trench coats either. Sometimes I think they overdo it, but at the same time I'm glad there are rules.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

They do it here in Ohio. I had a principle pull me into his office when I was in high school. He told me to get to his private bath room and shave. I wasn't allowed out until I had. I had only forgotten to shave that Monday. I usually do not shave over the weekend, because I don't have to. I simply forgot. However, just to show him up one. I shaved the way I normally do. Dry. :) He actually winced! LOL

PW2

Commander

The constitution under attack yet again.<br /><br />The founding fathers specifically set up separation of powers to ensure that no one part of government gets too powerful. Were they wrong? Somehow it is not so much that conservatives want conservative judges on the courts of this land, they seem to want simply obedient judges.<br /><br />What is it about the constitution that so scares conservatives?<br /><br />It appears they are not interesting in governing-they are more interested in ruling.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

"It appears they are not interesting in governing-they are more interested in ruling"<br /><br />pw2, please provide distinction between term "governing" and "ruling".<br /><br />Also, liberals are passionate regarding banning the act of speaking the WORD God from schools, yet the same liberals are passionate regarding ensuring a womans so called "right" to participate in the act of murdering their unborn, or partially born child.<br /><br />Ahhh, priorities...............

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

PW,<br /><br />I am sure the framers of the constitution had absolutely no comprehension of a)godless people being provided greater rights than those people of faith. Faith - that which our country was founded upon. And b)judges creating law from the bench. The cowardice of those who fear the simple word "god" has to make one wonder. If you think that this country wasn't established on Judeo-Christian beliefs you need to expand your reading list. We are promised freedom of religion not freedom from religion. Words do mean things and they chose their words very carefully.<br /><br />If what you say is true where are the democrats screaming at the top of their lungs, decrying this infringement of their rights. The are not and they won't. They don't stand up for what they "believe" unless it revolves around consolidating power around themselves.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Precisely, Pointer!<br />Liberals wouldn't recognise the original, non-ammended verios of constitution if they used it for toilet paper...(Oh, that's right, they allready do).

Skinnywater

Commander

Originally posted by PW2; <br />
The constitution under attack yet again.<br /><br />The founding fathers specifically set up separation of powers to ensure that no one part of government gets too powerful. Were they wrong? Somehow it is not so much that conservatives want conservative judges on the courts of this land, they seem to want simply obedient judges.<br /><br />What is it about the constitution that so scares conservatives?<br /><br />It appears they are not interesting in governing-they are more interested in ruling.
And again we get your assertion that Conservatives want to embrace the Constitution only when it serves our interests.<br />Yes, the Constitution serves the conservative cause very well.<br />But this is in contrast to liberals asserting the Constitution through ignorance and to subvert it.<br />You use the term "founding fathers" often, yet nearly as often you've ridiculed, ignored, reinterpet or rewrite what their original intent.<br /><br />Again, here is a clear example, along with most of his political posts, where PW2 is guilty of hypocracy and ignorance of the facts.<br /><br />Most of what can be found through the founders original intent, relevant Constitution sections, Supreme Court case law and legal precedents are here.<br /> Read it and weep PW, but above all learn. <br /><br /> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&db_id=cp108&r_n=hr614.108&sel=TOC_17010& <br /><br /> The Framers intended Congress to use the power to limit jurisdiction as a check on all federal judges, including Supreme Court judges, who, after all, have lifetime tenure and are thus unaccountable to the people. <br /><br />Only the ignorant and weak can be ruled PW. <br />I'll do what I can to help you. :rolleyes:

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Ol' Norse:<br /> Just curious, Kidd, but where do you live that they force people to shave and cut their hair in certain ways?
I live in the Dallas area, and there are dress codes in the schools. The dress codes don't allow facial hair, facial piercings, hair below a certain length, skirts above a certain length...etc. But they have made, and are making, exceptions to these because of religious beliefs, thus my post.