Interesting new on the water fail

nola mike

Vice Admiral
So while trying to adjust my shift cable on the water today, just idling around in a heavy current, engine stalls. Couldn't restart, not a hiccup. Jumped fuel pump, which ran but didn't sound "juicy". I'm solo, so couldn't check for fuel when throttle pumped. Checked fuel filter. Seemed less than full. Dumped contents into Dr pepper can, looked good, ran fuel pump and felt suction. Dumped gas down carb throat. Fired briefly. Sucked on fuel inlet hose. Got a mouthful of gas. Rinsed out with slightly less disgusting river water. Found a split in the line at the hose clamp. Cut back, hooked it up, ran pump, heard carb fill, fired right up. Pat myself on the back. Realized my mouth still tasted like gas. Went to the brewery. Working on getting gas taste out of my mouth. I'm hoping I'm running out of ways to break down.

alldodge

Staff member
Need a lot of beer to get rid of that taste, hope it doesn't come back anytime soon

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gas..... only thing worse than fresh is old gas.....

kinda like my dog after eating at my moms house..... he licks his a$$ for about an hour to get the taste out of his mouth......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
When I was a kid we had to do that more frequently than desired. The trick i used was to ensure that you had a long fuel line, clear was always preferred but seldom available back then and suck hard for half a second and immediately jerk the hose to the side out of your mouth and pointed to a container. Worked more times than not.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
When I was a kid we had to do that more frequently than desired. The trick i used was to ensure that you had a long fuel line, clear was always preferred but seldom available back then and suck hard for half a second and immediately jerk the hose to the side out of your mouth and pointed to a container. Worked more times than not.
I wasn't trying to siphon. Wanted to make sure I had gas and it could make it out of the tank. My selection of hoses and siphons was... Limited. Definitely not my wisest decision of the day to begin with, and then lost a few neurons that I can't spare.