Interested in a deck boat (Hurricane). Couple questions...

gabrielh

Cadet
Hi guys,

I just sold my 17' Bowrider because I want something with way more room, more stable and better suited for fishing. I was thinking about a Pontoon boat first but their lack of speed made me decide to go with a deck boat.
I'm really interested in the Hurricane FunDeck serie, particularly in the 226R one with fishing package.

Now my questions are: how well will it handle rough waters compared to my 17' Bowrider? It was a very rough ride on mine with light chop-choppy waters.
I will be using it in the intercoastal waters (Gulf of Mexico) and occasionally ~1.5miles out in the Gulf on my fav fishing spot on calm days (is it safe do do that o a deck boat?)
I never went out and I'm never going to go out when there is more than 15knots winds and 3ft seas anyways.
Also how high of a wave will this deck boat handle before it start washing on top of the bow? (again I wont be going out with more than 3ft seas but we were on my friend's pontoon last week and a rogue wave from a passing out went over the front and pulled the pontoons down under water and it scared my wife a lot :redface:)

Thanks!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Interested in a deck boat (Hurricane). Couple questions...

First, the 226R is a great boat, especially outfitted for fishing. The deckboats are fantastic however, it will be probably better suited for calmer waters. I've had mine out in 18 in. of chop/wave and its rough and does cut the waves as well as a V hull on a bowrider. It tends to hit a little harder in the bow. In 3ft, I can't comment but I would assume it would give you similar results with some splashing up front.

On calm days, it'll float on top and be a very comfortable ride. Unfortunately I'm a lake goer so I can comment on the use in coastal waters.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never owned one, but have been out in several. in good water they are awsome, but when it gets choppy they are rough riding (imagine a skiff with a mostly flat bottom). Good to fish from, they are very stable with allot less roll and very roomy. I've seen several with differant hull shapes so that would have allot to do with the ride in a chop. I live in Port St Joe florida and do most of my boating in St Joe bay and the gulf and thinking about conditions here I'd look for one with a decent V in the front to help cut the waves. The last one I was on was a very wet ride when heading stright into the waves but not to bad when taking them at an angle. Having a big bimini top on them is a god send as well. Good luck with your search.

red

gabrielh

Cadet

Thanks for your replies guys.
I finally bought a 2002 226R . Got an amazing deal and the motor have less than 25 hours!
I'm VERY pleased with it and how it handles choppy waters. I took it out in the Gulf a couple times and it handled chop like a champ.
Was surpised how fast it is too (top 35mph easily. Have yamaha 115hp 4 strokjes on it)

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

gabrielh....

glad to hear that it worked out for you.... You have a great boat..... Enjoy....