Insurance will only weld it and paint, is that normal ?

MATTT

Seaman
My boat must have went over a submerge object. Becuase of that, I have some damage to the lower caseing where the fin at. The fin was bent, the prop was destroy, and some big chips along the bottom of the fin. The Insurance adjuster came out and decided to only weld and paint. I was hoping that they would replace the lower casing. They not even going to pay for the inspection of the lower gears to see if any damage. I need your opinion on this. <br /><br />Thank you so much.<br /><br />Mattt.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Insurance will only weld it and paint, is that normal ?

get a recommendation from a mechanic as to what needs to be done and be prepared to fight your insurance company if it's different from what they propose

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You might ask your insurance guy what they will do if "hidden damage" (ie gearcase) is found. It should work pretty much the same way as for cars. I would think they should also come up with a prop. Their approach seems fair if they cover any hiden damage.

FISH'N101

Seaman Apprentice

Do you have a local agent? If so, call him and get him involved. Ask him or the adjuster to explain the terms of your policy contract.<br /><br />Before you spend any money ask your agent or adjuster what can be done to help you have piece of mind you need to feel safe in your boat again. Ask what can be done if further damage show up a few weeks or months later. Can the claim be reopenned? Then see if you can do what they suggest. Be sure you get things in writing from him. Document your conversations carefully, especially if there is money out of your pocket for any inspections or estimates.<br />I have heard of cases where the boat owner will need to pay for any cost of estimates or inspections out of their pocket. If damage is found and that damage can be clearly related to the claim, the insurance company may reimburse for the inspection and repairs. Most of the time when I have heard of these situations is when there is no obvious damage to the parts in question. <br />In most cases it's best to get this situation resolved to your satisfaction now. You don't want to go out in your boat wondering if your going to make it back. Regardless of who might pay for it you want to be sure your motor and boat is safe.<br /><br />A couple other alternatives would be to ask for a supervisor. <br />If all else fails most states have an insurance commissioners or similar type government agency to help you. They can sometimes get involved to be sure the insurance adjuster is living up to the complete terms of your policy contract.<br /><br />Remember to document times, dates, and conversation content with all the above. <br />Most companies won't have a problem fixing damage that was clearly part of the accident. <br />Good luck.......