Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

• Yes, would'nt go on the water without it.

Votes: 210 67.7%
  • No, waste of money.

Votes: 28 9.0%
  • Been thinking about it.

Votes: 72 23.2%

• Total voters

skargo

Banned
Re: Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

I insure my boat. Mainly in case of injury, but then again I don't invite libtards onto my boat so that shouldn't be an issue. You got hurt on my boat? Sorry but you didn't have to come along, much less get in the water or ask to be pulled behind the boat. In these liberal/national days personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past.

In any event, I carry insurance just in case, and also have coverage for the boat in case it sinks, tree falls on it, etc...

I am not a "libtard" but you do realize political affiliation has NOTHING to do with bringing a lawsuit, conservatards sue just as much.

:rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

I'd like to hear from the 4 who voted waste of money, if they have the balls. :D

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have mine insured! For only $230 a year......it was deffanitly a no brainer for me!!!!

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

To insure my boat it only costs me about $35 a year for liability only.

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have mine insured! For only $230 a year......it was deffanitly a no brainer for me!!!!

ohh yeah....Thats for full coverage with $100 deductable

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

min 2million liability to moor in any marina around here..... busy harbour alotta idiots on the water too.

Couple years back batt charger shorted out and the carpet around it caught on fire, luckily I was staying on the boat at the time and was able to put it out after emptying 2 extinguishers, it was late in the season and very few people were out. All i thought was If I wasnt there, boat fire, wooden dock, some 300 boats side by side all with a couple hundred Ls of fuel in em......

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i havent had it for the past year, but usually i do. This thread kicked me in the butt and I emailed BoatUS for a quote just now. It is usually $250/yr for mine with full coverage.

bluebayou

Cadet

that my bf is the naive, non insuring type - i'm new, maybe i should have posted differently

bluebayou

Cadet

redone, I get the feeling you're the sensitive type

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

haha...curiosity got the best of me.....I was wondering how that played into the thread. sorry for the disturbance lol.

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Insurance for me was an automatic decision just for the simple fact that if some idiot plows into me, I know that my insurance company's lawyers will deal with the problems of getting their money while I just worry about taking care of my family while I'm unable to work. With no insurance, you get to fight for your money - from a hospital bed, or worse. Don't do that to your family.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

haha...curiosity got the best of me.....I was wondering how that played into the thread. sorry for the disturbance lol.

How that played into the thread is actually the reason I started this thread. I was reading on hers and it reminded me of the first two stories.:(

And I got to thinking, how many boaters out there do not have insurance. How many thought they did not need it. And most importantly, how to get people to understand the importance of it.

Redone, I.m glad this got you going on the insurance.
A big ATTABOY to ya.:D:D:D

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Im thinking about getting insurance only had the boat out a few times and spent some money in repairs so I wasnt really thinking about insurance at the time. But 250 for full cover thats cheap and what does that cover?? is that the way to go or should i just get lieablity

erikgreen

Captain

Consider if you own a 14' tinny with a 6HP. The damages you cause someone else's property will be quite limited, even at WOT. Your typical $500-$1000 comprehensive deductible will likely never get exceeded, so why bother? If you cruise around in a 34' that you barely could afford, get fully insured before it hits the water.

A 14 footer, a jet ski, or a 34 footer can all do over a million dollars worth of damage if you're unlucky. As you mention, you can hit or injure someone, even someone you didn't invite on your boat, get sued (even if they're nice people, they may not have any other way to pay for the medical bills) and without liability insurance you're stuck.

A fuel spill in the wrong place, even not your fault, may stick you with more than $100k in cleanup costs. If the fuel gets into someone's water and they get sick, they can sue you too. If a drunk driver hits you on the highway and wrecks your car, putting you in the hospital, and knocks your jet ski off the trailer, causing it to fly into and wreck another car whose passenger wasn't wearing a seat belt, you can still get sued by the passenger. It won't be the drunk driver's fault your jet ski came off the trailer, or the passenger's fault for not wearing a seatbelt, it'll be your fault somehow for not securing your ski with thick chains and cement.

We live in a litigation happy society. As long as it's legal to sue someone for the most tenuous reason related to their boat, it's necessary to carry at least liability insurance as a self defense measure. If your boat is worth something, get damage insurance for it too.

If you don't have a health insurance plan of some sort for yourself, forget about boating and do that first.

Erik

jkust

Rear Admiral

My opionion is a truly responsible person will have at the minimum liability insurance...self insure the value of your boat if you can. Not meaning to be hard on anyone but that is just my opinion. This goes for all vehicles plus wouldn't you always want to protect your assets however large or small in the event of an incident? A couple hundred bucks a year seems like peanuts for the limits offered.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No brainer!
I've got an old bowrider that rarely sees anywhere but a river but out of respect for other boaters and property owners, as well as peace of mind for my family and what's left of my assets I have insurance. I self insure the boat , have great liabilty coverage and a general liabilty umbrella policy as well.
I know it is not required, but I really like the umbrella for additional coverage - it is inexpensive for aditional coverage and extends coverage not only for boating but to other activities as well.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im thinking about getting insurance only had the boat out a few times and spent some money in repairs so I wasnt really thinking about insurance at the time. But 250 for full cover thats cheap and what does that cover?? is that the way to go or should i just get lieablity

Think of it like this.

If I have liability, I will know that my passengers, the passengers of another boat, and myself are covered for any injury. If I run my boat aground and hit some campers, I am covered.

If I have full coverage on a boat that is worth $5000.00, all of the above still applies AND, if I hit a tree stump and rip my $1800.00 outdrive off, it's covered. If I just put a new $500.00 prop on and backed it into the ramp, it's covered. If I ram somebodys boat, we're both covered. If I run my boat up onto submerged rocks and tear up the gelcoat and fiberglass, it's covered.

You see, any possible scenario can work when it comes to insuring your boat. How much you want to be covered is up to the individual.
I have a $100.00 deductible and have had to use it twice in 16 years. And with my combined premiums and my two deductibles, I am still $$$ ahead.

Both times for hitting rocks.

bluebayou

Cadet

Looks like if you are insuring a boat over 26', it's called yacht insurance. I'm thinking that would be more expensive. Anyone have yacht insurance out there?

A boat insurance co. told me there are no deductibles on liability. Is this everyone's experience?