Instrument Panel Restoration

JonathanEngr

Seaman
I've searched and searched the forums, and could have sworn I saw this somewhere before. If so, please feel free to direct me to the post.

I have a 2002 Bentley pontoon, and although the boat is in great shape, some parts are faded and/or scratched. It drives me bonkers. My instrument panel is one. It has faded over time and has a few scratches, and I'd like to replace/refurbish it before adding a new gauge cluster.

I saw somewhere where a guy used lexan glass, cut it to the dimensions of the old panel, bored the holes, and then covered it with a plastic or vinyl false wood veneer. Working with the lexan isn't a problem, but where do I find the plastic/vinyl/etc., wood veneer? Does it come with an adhesive already applied? If not, what would you recommend? Do they make these veneers that are UV protected to resist fading?

Any input would be appreciated!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: Instrument Panel Restoration

I haven't seen that thread but here are a couple of thoughts. I have made some architectural features with Lexan, mostly signage. We actually sanded down the back side then painted it. You can tape off areas if you want them a different color, the pull the tape and paint the second (or third) color next. It seems like we use 400 grit sand paper to scuff the surface, then applied the paint. The lexan will look "frosted" when you sand it, but once the paint is applied it will be nice and shinny again. The good part about doing it this way, is the paint being on the back side, won't get scratched. You could also have a sign shop make you vinyl decals, but those would typically go on the front. Mixing wood and lexan might get tricky. The physical properties of the two are quite different. That being said, maybe you could use an epoxy to laminate it to the lexan? You might try system three's "clear coat" epoxy. I would give them a call, I'm sure they could give you some input. Again I would put it on the back side. One alternative would be a wood grain laminate (formica). Good luck, let us know how it goes!

JonathanEngr

Seaman

Thanks for your reply! I think you're right--mixing wood and lexan would likely be a bad idea--but I was actually referring to a decal of sorts. Perhaps it was another forum, but this topic came up, and there was a link to a page of a company that sells a product made of plastic or vinyl (or perhaps some other material) that has a wood grain look to it. I'm sure there's an ample supply of it out there somewhere... after all, very few automobiles use real wood for their interior, but instead use a molded plastic with a wood decal overlay. I would think they would almost certainly be UV resistant and definitely capable of withstanding high temps and/or moisture.

I do like your idea of painting the back of the lexan. My problem is I stink at painting, and I think I would have a very hard time creating a convincing wood grain. I'm essentially trying to recreate my panel, and it has a false wood grain to it, as well. I can't tell what material they used under the overlay, but from tapping and thumping it feels/sounds like plastic of some sort. I've even thought of overlaying the current panel (if I can find the overlay!) but I'm afraid that the current overlay might peel up if I did that. Might be worth a try, though.

JonathanEngr

Seaman

A-ha! I'm not sure of the quality of some stuff on eBay, but here's a link to what I was talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOOD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I guess the link will go dead after the auction ends...? Anyway, they describe it as a "WOOD GRAIN VINYL Roll Sheet Adhesive". It even specifically mentions use on boats. Anyone on here have any idea of differing qualities of such a product? Better adhesive? Resistance to fading?

sr280da

Seaman Apprentice

I had Scott Cambra at vectorled.com make new dash panels for my Sea Ray. Scott has it down to a science and will do a first class job at a very competitive price. I found it was cheaper to have him do it for me than for me to make my own and I'm a pretty accomplished woodworker with a fully stocked workshop.

erikgreen

Captain

I wouldn't recommend lexan for this, unless it's easily replaceable. Lexan and other polycarbonate plastics are shiny, but nowhere near as hard as glass. They scratch up pretty quickly, especially in places where they'll have hands and other things resting on them/running across them.

If you really want to just replace the panel, I'd recommend either a sheet of aluminum, which you can create holes in with ordinary hole saws (although you will dull them) or a piece of fiberglass sheet, which also works with hole saws.

For a wood look, you can buy wood veneer at most home improvement shops that will iron on to the panel. Alternatively you can laminate a thin piece of wood to the front of the metal/glass with epoxy.

Don't let inexperience stop you... this is a great project to play around with. You just need to find a thin, stiff material to mount your gauges in, and you can use just about anything. Look around and see what you like.

Erik

waterskii

Recruit

I have a Sunesta 232 Deckboat. Last year I noticed some wear and tear on the edges of my panels. I looked all around and my friend tiped me off to a company called Marine Marks. I got my new panels quickly and they look amazing.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I replaced the gauge panel in my boat with a backing of 1/4" black Starboard material. It's completely inert, UV stabilized and can be worked with standard woodworking tools. Word of caution though, nothing will stick to it so you have to either screw or bolt. I bolted with ss bolts, nuts and lock washers. Works very well and looks sharp.

kilowatts

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

x2 for 1/4" King Starboard. I'm making dash panels etc. from that right now:

Dash.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a Sunesta 232 Deckboat. Last year I noticed some wear and tear on the edges of my panels. I looked all around and my friend tiped me off to a company called Marine Marks. I got my new panels quickly and they look amazing.

Welcome to iboats. Please do not hijack someone else's thread....start your own.

Hi Guys:

I replaced the gauge panel in my boat with a backing of 1/4" black Starboard material. It's completely inert, UV stabilized and can be worked with standard woodworking tools. Word of caution though, nothing will stick to it so you have to either screw or bolt. I bolted with ss bolts, nuts and lock washers. Works very well and looks sharp.

kilowatts

x2 for 1/4" King Starboard. I'm making dash panels etc. from that right now:

As for you other two....the same applies!