Instrument light on discontinued OMC Concept series tachometer.

mikeyk101

Seaman
I am adding a few gauges to my 1987 48 SPL. I picked up some NOS speedo, volt, and tach gauges. I also decided to go with LED lights for the instruments. The speedometer and the volt meter lights are pretty straight forward and have physical connection to the positive and ground. The tachometer light holder, though locks onto the circuit board. I had to add the optional harness to the 3 plug connector on the factory main wiring harness to be able to use the tachometer and at first the tachometer wouldn't work. Turns out the switched power lead and the ground wires in the harness were switched from the connector on the main harness. Easy fix, I just pushed out the pins on the extra harness and swapped them. Now the tachometer is working. But no matter what I do. I can't seem to get the instrument light to work. The led replacement light is polarity sensitive and I tried it both ways and nothing. I even tried a regular bulb and that didnt work either. I even tried the bulb holders from the speedo and volt meter. I followed the directions but just cant seem to get it to work. Am I doing something wrong? Could something have been damaged on the circuit board by the switched positive and ground being connected backwards at first? I'm guessing that what I may have to do is to get a new bulb holder with a pigtail and hard wire it. Is this going to be my best solution?

Another tach question...on my 1987 48 SPL, the directions said to set the pulses to 5 on the back of the tach. But I have seen in several threads that say it should be set to 6. Can anyone confirm which setting I should be using?

sam am I

Commander
Could something have been damaged on the circuit board by the switched positive and ground being connected backwards at first?

Could have fried a trace, yes.........

Another tach question...on my 1987 48 SPL, the directions said to set the pulses to 5 on the back of the tach. But I have seen in several threads that say it should be set to 6. Can anyone confirm which setting I should be using?

I find that all 2 cylinders less than 70 HP has 10 pole alt, so pulses/rev is 5

mikeyk101

Seaman
Well it seems that I have solved the instrument light problem. I found these and ordered them. They fit the same way as the original bulb holder. I just have to figure out a way to cut out the protective cap to fit over the new lamp assembly to help keep dirt out of the tach circuit board. I figure a utility knife should work just fine. I have also set the tach at 5 and seems to work just fine. This is a lot cheaper than replacing it just because of an instrument light not working.

Attachments

• photo310543.jpg
    photo310543.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 0