Instrument Gauges Fogged Up

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Half of my gauges are fogged, the other ones are fine. They lenses are not scratched or hazed, just fogged up (I assume from condensation). Only in hot or dry weather do they clear up. I've heard that the gauges are sealed and once this happens, they need to be replaced??? Or is there a way to disassemble and re-seal the lenses? If so, it would give me an oppurtunity to touch up the orange colored pointers that have faded badly with age and sunlight. They are Teleflex gauges. Thanks for any input!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Instrument Gauges Fogged Up

I've never had good luck opening up gauges. Things tend to go south quickly if you do that. They are far from sealed, and what you see is pretty much normal. Give them an afternoon in the sun and they will dry out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Run with the instrument light on, the heat from the bulb tends to keep them dry inside.

tpenfield

Staff member

Half of my gauges are fogged, the other ones are fine. They lenses are not scratched or hazed, just fogged up (I assume from condensation). Only in hot or dry weather do they clear up. I've heard that the gauges are sealed and once this happens, they need to be replaced??? Or is there a way to disassemble and re-seal the lenses? If so, it would give me an oppurtunity to touch up the orange colored pointers that have faded badly with age and sunlight. They are Teleflex gauges. Thanks for any input!

Yup, it happens . . . I do not think that they are fully sealed. Not worth futzing with unless you are looking for a project.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not think that they are fully sealed. Not worth futzing with unless you are looking for a project.

Some time on my hands for a project. Gonna pull one and try to re-seal and as mentioned repaint the pointer if nothing else (presently looks very tacky! :(). Also, the gauges reflect off the windshield at nite and appear as another set of gauges right in my line of sight, not the safest thing for boating at nite! I find myself covering the gauges up with a towel. Another project is to install a dimmer switch for the instrument lights as well, and maybe look into making some type of shade cover for the dash overhanging the gauges to totally block out the glare. Will keep ya's posted to how it turns out....and as always, thanks for the input!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought, pull the gauge and spray / coat with conformal coat. It's used in the circuit board industry for boards in moist environments. The product I've worked with sets up tacky and never hardens. Don't coat the lens though.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I don't know about boat gauges but a lot of instruments are filled with nitrogen gas to stop fogging.

UncleWillie

Captain

Some Fogging is normal, or at least not unusual.

I have new Faria gauges.
They definitely have vent holes in the back and are not sealed hermetically.
However they are sealed mechanically.
The front bezels are seam rolled to the cases; There is no way short of destruction to open them up.
Warming them up with the lights will speed up the defogging. A hair blower would be even faster.
Your Teleflex gauges are likely similar.

-----------------------------
From Faria;

Instrument Fogging:

Most marine instruments have small vents in their cases to allow a way out for moisture that finds its way in. It is possible for moist air to be drawn into the vents when the air inside the gauge cools down after the instrument is turned off. The morning sun can draw this moisture up against the lens, causing fogging. Turning on the instrument with the instrument light "on" will speed up moisture removal. Fogging is not abnormal, nor will it harm your instrument, which is built to withstand the harsh marine environment.

---------------------------
From Teleflex;

Fogging of Instruments

Until the introduction of Teleflex fog resistant gauges, all commercially available gauges were subject to fogging. Teleflex Pro Series gauges include a coating on the inside of the lens that prevents condensation from forming. Depending on the outside temperature, humidity, air flow to the gauge, and gauge placement in a panel, other gauges can fog. Usually the gauge fogs when the inside and outside temperatures of a gauge change drastically. Such a change occurs when the gauge is first turned on. The meter movement of the gauge heats the moist air inside while air outside the glass remains cooler, and the gauge fogs.
If the gauge is mounted vertically in a panel, the fog rises to the top of the gauge with little fog on the glass. If the gauge were horizontal, the fog would rise to the glass, probably covering it entirely. If the gauge were tilted back 45 degrees, only about half the glass would be fogged.
Fogging is dissipated when the heat inside the gauge causes an air convection to begin moving from the back of the gauge through its interior.
This constant flow of air should slowly clear the glass. Turning on the gauge light (causing more heat) helps in clearing the glass. If the glass does not clear, remove the socket and bulb and let a lot of air into the gauge. This step may be necessary in high humidity conditions. If air flow behind the gauge is poor (area sealed off), it may be more difficult to dissipate the fog. Replacing the fogging gauge is a last resort. It is not always an effective remedy, unless the replacement is a Pro Series unit.

NYBo

Admiral

My gauges were wired from the factory to have the lights on whenever to motor is on. I wired my new gauges the same way.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My gauges were wired from the factory to have the lights on whenever to motor is on. I wired my new gauges the same way.

I would do this too. Run the blue wire on the gauges to a purple wire so when you turn the key switch to on the gauge lights come on.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some Fogging is normal, or at least not unusual.

I have new Faria gauges.
They definitely have vent holes in the back and are not sealed hermetically.
However they are sealed mechanically.
The front bezels are seam rolled to the cases; There is no way short of destruction to open them up.
Warming them up with the lights will speed up the defogging. A hair blower would be even faster.
Your Teleflex gauges are likely similar.

In agreement about the destruction after a second look. I believe the saying "it is what it is" is going to play a role here. With the really damp mornings and eves in this area out fishing some of the gauges don't clear up. It's all good though in the warmer months. Just strange that only half the gauges are like that and the others are fine :confused:. My set up as well has the gauge lites on when the ignition is on. Still am going to look into the dimmer switch though....I think it'd b a nice feature to add. No harm there. Thanks for all the feedback!

cyclops2

Banned

I vote for wiring the light bulg in the guages into the .........Ignition terminal of the key switch as stated in post # 8.

Do we love the helpfull people on this site ???

Hell yes. :):)

cyclops2

Banned

As a side note My Humming bird depth finder got bad. I carefully removed the large plastic nut that holds the multi pin connector to the printed circuit board inside........If I did not remove the nut completly I would break the electronics......Check for nuts on your depth finder if you want to open it up..

I wiped the moisture off......CLEAN soft cloth.......DO NOT poke or touch other places.........place it in a living area......I applied VERY LITTLE wheel bearing grease ONLY ON THE RUBBER gasket seal. Been fine for 2 years on the St. Lawrence River near Lake Ontario.

DO NOT GET ANY GREASE ON ANYTHING ELSE................Good luck