Installing Swimming Platform - Water Line

Nandy

Commander
Im buying and used teak platform. I have an idea on how to install it but I am not sure what is the recommended above the water line height for it. This is one of those small platforms used for outboards. I mostly want it to make it easy to get back in the boat as the portable ladder I use is not the best.

Thanks...

Attachments

• swimming_platform.JPG
    swimming_platform.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 0

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Installing Swimming Platform - Water Line

You may find out there's only one position it will fit with all the mounting points, close to the waterline is good and depending on load and weight in the boat it could anywhere from from just above to just below waterline, most important is on plane it's up and out.

Searay 150merc

Seaman Apprentice

I have on just like that on my boat. I would say the closer to the water the better. With just the one rung ladder we still have to use the cav plate on the motor to get to the ladder to get in the boat

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have not bought it yet, get one with the extending ladder. 2 step atleast.

Nandy

Commander

I did thought about the one step but i my budget ($50.00) I really cant get much. It cant be much more difficult than the portable ladder I have now... I always liked that type of platform...

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you get the one pictured,dont forget to flip it up before getting underway !!

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had 2 platforms like that on the boat that busted. Although they look cool and are great to stand/sit on and drip dry before crawling in the boat that one step is a doozie. It's very hard to put your foot up on there and pull yourself out. TD is right, two steps are ideal. On the other hand it beats a ladder.

Attachments

• th_1987Imperial005.jpg
    th_1987Imperial005.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 0

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Here is my 0.02 on this matter...

My family's last boat was a 33' Chris Craft Sedan Bridge. It has a nice teak swim platform off the back. It was mounted very very low to the water (maybe an inch or two at rest on a calm day). We didn't think much of it until we started using it. Water was constantly hitting the platform and the platform spent a lot of time under water. It wasn't terrible, but I would have preferred it a few inches higher, to keep it mostly dry.

In your case it sounds like you will only use it for boarding, correct? If that is true, and you have the option to move it up and down, I would say an inch or two above the water might work. I have heard stories of water hitting the platform and actually splashing passenger in the back on the boat, when mounted too low.

I would also suggest getting a multi rung ladder. Makes boarding much, much easier!

Nandy

Commander

Being the tinker that I am I might end up adding to it if I must. Im already thinking the options so it folds right. I havent got it yet. The guys is coming for unrelated work to where I live and bring it with him.

mthieme

Captain

Here's a shot of mine...just above the scum line.
Access inside for the bolts could be an issue. Measure twice - you don't wanna drill under the floor or anything like that!
The ladder is a 3 step telescoping.
I highly recommend no less than two rungs.

Attachments

• tabs.JPG
    tabs.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 0

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2 step on my SEA RAY and I wish it was a 3 stepper to make it easy for my wife and kids.

Nandy

Commander

Mthieme, that was what I was thinking on doing if I needed to add to it. I might try it the way it is, if it dont work then I will try that option.