Installing Replacement Key Switch

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 6 post key switch with push-in choke that I suspect to be bad so I'm replacing it.

The new key switch I have on hand is also a 6 post with push-in choke but the posts are labeled differently on the new switch so I want to make sure that I install it correctly.

The old switch had these posts in order... S-C-A-M-B-M

The new switch has this order... S-C-B-M-I-M

Should the wire(s) connected to "B" from the old switch go to "B" on the new switch? Or should the wire(s) connected to "B" on the old switch go to "I" on the new switch?

Thanks for the help!

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Installing Replacement Key Switch

I would be real careful here. Test your old switch to see what happens when you turn the key. Some power packs are ungrounded when you turn the key to on. some power packs get 12 volts when you turn the key to on. If your switch is providing 12 volts to a pack that already has the volts provided and is looking to be ungrounded you could mess up big time. A lot of magnetos will not take a 12 volt source with out damage. you need to check your book and get the correct switch. anyway B is for the battery.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

The order they are in is not important. Hook the wires up to the same connections as the old switch was . B is still B. So the only difference is the wire that went to A (accessories) on the old switch now goes to I (ignition) on the new one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

"A" stands for accessories which is a terminal that is active when the key is in the run position. It feeds power to the instruments and other accessories. "I" stands for ignition and serves the same function as the "A" terminal. If you looked at the back of the gauges you will find one of the terminals (+12 volt input) is indeed labeled "I". So Bhile is very correct. Match the wires letter for letter except put those/it that was on the "A" terminal on the "I" terminal.

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks All! I had only seen Lyle's post when I moved forward with this project.

For good measure, I tested the switch with a multimeter to see which posts had a closed circuit at each setting of the switch (off, run, start, choke). The circuits matched up with my book's wiring diagram so I arrived at the same conclusion as you guys said.... A=Accessories was equivalent to I=ignition.

(by the way, right after I tested the new switch I tested the old switch in the OFF position and got a closed circuit between like 4 posts. Which, obviously was not up to spec.)

I replaced the switch last night and got positive results when I tested for spark. Fired up the motor this morning and ran it for about 5 minutes. Looks like my no spark problem is fixed. Thanks again guys!

Now if only iboats wasn't sold out of the switch I needed then I could be a forum user in good standing. Oh well, maybe next time.