Installing new 3.0 front mount need advice on install products

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is my new motor mount . Pretty much copied what came out of the boat originaly .
its a 2" rough cut PL'ed with a piece of 3/4" ext ..
Originally it was glued in at the outer corners to the hull with what appeared to me to be some type of blue bondo or filler...
Then the top side was covered in csm and roven woven tabbed to the bulkhead and deck...
There wasnt much of anything covering the rest of the mount fromn the elements..
The entire bottom side was exposed.

Here are my questions..
1. Is it a bad idea to wrap this things in csm before it gets bonded to the hull??

2. What was the blue filler?? Marine filler?? Should I use the same, or should I use peanut butter??
Thanks so much

Attachments

• 1310235173071.jpg
    1310235173071.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Installing new 3.0 front mount need advice on install products

Just giving this a little bump, hoping to get the bilge area done before "back to work" tomorow.
I have been wondering..I guess it depends on if the mount needs to be bonded or just bedded to the hull.
I am guessing it needs to be bonded? So maybe PB resin mix is the answer. Just unsure if putting a barrier of csm between the hull and the mount is a bad idea, even though I want to protect it.
thanks a bunch

rickryder

Commander

I would go with wrapping it in csm and bedding in PB...... I would coat it up with resin real well first to help with waterproofing. Just my .02

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Most of the builders here use PL for bedding to the hull and Peanut Butter as a fillet, I am not sure if Peanut Butter can be used for bedding. Actually, I asked this question on my restoration thread yesterday and still waiting for an answer.
If this is an inboard engine mount, I believe it has to be glassed to the hull not just glued or bedded. If the factory decided to do it certain way ? mainly based on cost benefit analysis ? it doesn?t mean you shouldn?t do it better when you are at it. This is my opinion but I am not an expert and hopefully will be hearing from one of the authorities on the subject soon. More pictures of the boat and the engine mount area will help.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks rickryder, the more I read I think that is the way to go.

Hi deepblue,
Thats a good idea , I will try to take a pic to show the contact area of the mount..be back in a few

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are a couple pics....In the one of the old mount with my shadow, you can see where the glob of magic blue stuff was...the really built it up just to the inner sides of the contact area of the hull.
These were the best angles I could muster..

Attachments

• 1310309539477.jpg
    1310309539477.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1310309785885.jpg
    1310309785885.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • 1310309464740.jpg
    1310309464740.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0

rickryder

Commander

Bed it in PB and use the PB to fill any voids.... Then tab it to the hull with 1708 biax.....2-3 layers of that and it will be bulletproof!

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to use the PB. Sounds like a good idea