Installing Floor question

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am ready to install the new floor. The wood has been sealed completely with several costs of resin.

My question is this.
After drilling the hole for the rivet. What does everyone use to reseal the floor?

3M 5200 or just regular marine caulking?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne
(Starcrazy)
1978 Starcraft Mariner

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing Floor question

I'm at same point in my project. I am going to put fiber glass over plywood then carpet on top of that. dont think resin alone will be enough. but that is just my thought. floor is going to get wet even if you are carefull. my thought is it wont soak into wood with fiberglass down, then it will dry quicker as just carpet will only need to dry. I think 5200 is for permenant use you may want to use 4200

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will be covering floor with nautolex.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What kind of resin did you use?

No need to seal the rivet, but you can if you want. 3M 4200 or 5200 will work but they will be messy.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I will be covering floor with nautolex.

You need to cover the deck with Nautolex first, then rivet it down.

If you try to lay Nautolex over rivets you will get air pockets/bubbles at every rivet.

If you lay Nautolex over rivets you'll have to tear up your nice new vinyl to remove the deck if you have bilge problems i.e hole in the hull, leaky rivets, and/or livewell problems.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used fibreglass resin to seal the floor.

I am new to all this, but previous floor had rivets than vinyl floor overtop. I would prefer to have the floor laid out in one piece rather than 4 sections.
Also what was recommended to me.
Now this just throws a wrench in all this. Lol.

Starcrazy

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you used polyester resin it won't last and will peel off from the wood in a year or 2 making a mess of your vinyl job. You can buy some fiberglass cloth and put it over the wood and wet it out with more resin and it will hold better.

The way you do your decking and finish is up to you, but I've seen more than one person regret not being able to remove their decking without ruining their finish.

If you want to fasten your decking down first, I suggest drilling countersink holes for the rivets and then filling over them for a flush finish. I prefer an epoxy type filler for this. Then lay your fiberglass and wet it out with more resin, then lay your vinyl after the resin cures. I consider this the "backwards" way, but a lot of people do it like that.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help. More food for thought.
This rebuild is more than I thought it was going to be. Either way, learning something.

Thanks again.

Wayne

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

In your resto thread you say you used epoxy resin... did you use epoxy or polyester resin? Did you know the 2 were different?

If you used epoxy resin you'll be fine to cover over it without fiberglass cloth, polyester resin is a different story.

There's something you should know about the Nautolex vinyl, if you you don't wrap the edges of the vinyl around to the back of the plywood you'll have to fasten them mechanically with a strip of flat metal or angle. Unsecured edges will pull away from the glue and plywood over time and curl up... you'll read about this in the installation instructions.