Installing a Tach on 50hp 3cyl

reelhappy

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Messages
10
Hello Everyone,
I want to install a tach on my 2001 50hp 3cyl 2 stroke merc and when looking up tachs they refer to the number of poles instead of cyl's. Can someone tell me how many pole tach I need and what exactly this means. I also assume I need to buy the harness that plugs into my controls which currently it has nothing in it. Thanks
 

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
6,469
Re: Installing a Tach on 50hp 3cyl

You have 12 poles and 6 pulses. Most tachs for that motor would be set to 6P.
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Installing a Tach on 50hp 3cyl

Usually there are 4 positions on the back of the tacho. 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl and 12P. Set yours to 12P.

Chris........
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Installing a Tach on 50hp 3cyl

The setting number (For Merc tachs) is the number of POSITIVE poles on the stator.

TachSettings.png
 

reelhappy

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Messages
10
Re: Installing a Tach on 50hp 3cyl

Thanks and you are correct my manual is on the way.
 

edjunior

Seaman
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
72
Re: Installing a Tach on 50hp 3cyl

Yup, 6P. I just recently installed one on my 75hp. Works great.
 
Top