Installing a Marine CD player/ Stereo

george3819

Cadet
Does anyone know if I can install a marine cd player in a way that is not exactly flat. I am istalling it in a 1998 17' Capehorn on the center console where it is slightly angled forward. Do I need to make a shim that levels it out?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Installing a Marine CD player/ Stereo

Most CD players will work fine on a slight angle, we put one in the dash of our bowrider and it's tilted some but never has a problem playing CD's.

Clearsky

Cadet

Provided the play only holds 1 CD at a time (eg not a stacker) it should be fine.

CD or DVD players actually grab the disk from the centre to spin so they are not loose in the player. However in some cases (not common) a player at an angle can spin out of balance (due to the angle). If this happens the disk can rub against internal parts and become scratched. You can tell if it's out of balance by looking at the disk surface after play as there will be a circular scratch where it's touching, if this occurs I would not use it as it can make your CD's unplayable.

If it takes more than 1 CD (eg a stacker of any sort) I would not try it as any disk which is not playing is not secure in the drive and will flop around and could get jammed.

Good luck

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any decent quality CD/DVD drive can be mounted horizontally to vertically and be just fine.

The biggest thing to watch out for, is to make sure it is secure, and can't move around. Attach a piece of backstrap to the rear of the radio chassis if you can, to keep things in place. This will save you headaches down the line, and keep the CD from skipping.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read the installation manual! Most brand name (Sony, Panasonic) manufacturers recommend no more than a 30 degree tilt.

CD

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very said:
Read the installation manual! Most brand name (Sony, Panasonic) manufacturers recommend no more than a 30 degree tilt.

CD

True, But what they recommend, and what they can tolerate, aren't always the same. I've seem vertically installed head units(in a car), that was installed by long time pros. No ill effects.

But doing something like this, could also void a warranty, as it's not installed 'properly' per manufacturer recommendations.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

A car rides a whole lot smoother than a boat. Motorhomes tolerate 90* mounts easier than cars.

You pays your money and takes your chances.