installing a hatch in the deck

ehood

Recruit
I have just recently purchased a 19' boat. i would like to install a bilge pump under the deck, but there is no hatch or access. So i plan on installing a access hatch(maybe 9x12). so i need some pointers....where do i start? do i need to worry about cutting the stringers? And are stringers installed a common distance from each other
(i.e. studs in a wall are generally 16 inches on center) or do they vary? thanks a bunch, i grew up on boats but just bought my first one cant wait to get out there!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: installing a hatch in the deck

Welcome to iBoats!

Need a bit more info. What make and model is your boat? Is she a I/O or and Outboard? Pics would really help us to help you.
Check out my signature for a link on how to post em.

ehood

Recruit

boat is a 74 geneva and its an outboard. i believe the deck is below the water line maybe right on it. and no inboard fuel tank

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Why do you want to put a pump under the deck? Is there not an accessible bilge area on your boat? Your bilge pump should be at the very back of,...yep the bilge.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I agree with CW, do you NOT already have a Bilge where the Drain Tube is?? Post some pics so we can see what your dealin with