Install Lower Unit

sr79

Seaman
Need help installing my 2002 Mercury 115hp lower unit. I changed the water pump and now I can't get the lower gear case back on. Gear shift lever is in forward position. The splined drive shaft lines up okay but cannot get 6" long shift shaft to line up. I know there is a simple procedure to follow and this being my first experience I need help. I've done IOs several times with no difficulty but outboard, I'm finding out, are a lot different.
Thank you,
Dennis

sr79

Seaman
Need help installing my 2002 Mercury 115hp lower unit. I changed the water pump and now I can't get the lower gear case back on. Gear shift lever is in forward position. The splined drive shaft lines up okay but cannot get 6" long shift shaft to line up. I know there is a simple procedure to follow and this being my first experience I need help. I've done IOs several times with no difficulty but outboard, I'm finding out, are a lot different.
Thank you,
Thanks for looking, however, with some patience and perseverance I got the lower unit reassembled and everything is working well.

Last edited: