Inspection tips/tests for ujoints?

sputnikv8

Cadet
87 OMC Cobra outdrive
GM 305

Drive is off in my workshop for some pre-season work. I have the OMC service manual and I'm just not seeing any way to test the ujoints. I see the section that says inspect them. What do you guys do to inspect them? I've not had water intrusion, theres decent grease on them which I'll be replacing, I hold each end of it, there is no play as I twist.

Since I've got everything apart, I'm going to replace the gimbal bearing (and bellows obviously). The bearing was pretty good, its not as smooth as the new one I have, so, I'm just going to repalce it.

Are there any specs I should be testing before I just call them good?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inspection tips/tests for ujoints?

Not that I know of....
I think you have all ready inspected them....
As long as there is no surface rust, they are probably OK....
The real test would be funny noises while turning under load....:)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If you did find water in the boot to make the bearing rough then I`d replace the joints just to be on the safe side.
The only way to really inspect them is to remove them, remove the caps and check the needles for flattening or rust.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

i had a slight roaring noise when i turned my drive full left and right, and by using the suggestions in this forum, i inspected my u-joints. to the eye they were fine and they also moved smoothly by hand, but i pulled them anyway. after removing the caps, i saw flatened surfaces on the ends. as bt indicated, you have to remove the joints and caps and look. i had gotten water in the bellows a year before and only replaced the gimball bearing and bellows and lube the joints good, but the next year, the joints needed replacing. should have done it all at the same time.

flashback

Captain

Agree with hoot, my u-joints seemed ok and felt like they were smooth when I wobbled the shaft by hand, but I removed the caps, and the cross journals had many flat spots worn in them...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

I Agree,.. You can't tell a thing without disassembley....
And,....
Once I've gone thru the effort of That,....
For the $30./$40. I just put New 1s in anyways.....

Actually,.. 1 indicator I've found is,.....
When they get Soo floppy that reinstalling the outdrive is about Impossible from the flopping around,.....
It's time for New tight 1s.....