input please on this starcraft

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to look at this today or tomorrow.

see here http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/1296534925.html

Says 3.0 litre with an alpha 1 out drive, going to go see it up close
and put my hands on it. opinions on out drive, will give me an on the water check out.what would be a quick way to determine gimbal bearing problems etc on this if there is any, or should I pay for a survey? I am mechanical by nature but not an admitted marine mechanic, do work on old outboards for myself.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: input please on this starcraft

cool looking starcraft. but sure looks big for a 3.0. might be underpowered.

if ya can't hear the gimble brg. howl or make sounds, the only way i know to see if it's good is to literally put your hands on it and feel how it moves. ie. you shouldn't feel anything. a good brg. is totally smooth feeling when rotated by hand.

if yer not gonna have a survey. at least google up a checklist for buying a used boat. there are many on the www. the one i used was 4 pages long and i went through every item in ft. of the seller. speaking of the seller. don't believe anything they say w/o confirmation that all is well. they want to sell a boat.

i'm sure it's just me, but i'd be suspicious from square one with that seller because he said god bless at the end of his ad.. folks that say that, to me, have some alternative agenda i think..

as for the alpha1 drive. almost everyone's got one. very popular. parts and service can be obtained many places..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a great boat for a great price. Of course I am a bit biases being a member of the iboats starcraft crew and all. For some reason starcaft didn't put many larger motors in their I/O boats. The vast majority are 4 cyl. They are fairly light hulls though so I doubt it would perform too badly.

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking for it to be a lake erie perch walleye boat, and for leasure cruises with my wife. will look up the check list.

RE: feeling the gimble bearing, it would have to be out in my hands correct?

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

The only way to physically check that bearing is to remove the outdrive. I really don't think that will happen. The best you can do is to listen to it and see if there is any abnormal noises. Most times, a bad bearing will squeal).
I would look at the condition of the bellows. Make sure they are not cracked or torn. If you find them bad, it is a good bet that the drive might need some serious service. If the owner had the drive serviced recently (impeller, bearing, etc) and has documentation, so much the better. If not, I would still yank the drive and get that work done for peace of mind.

The ad said new floor and transom. Check those carefully and see if they were done correctly. I suggest a survey, or someone who has knowledge of these repairs look at it. Nothing worse than a "new floor" being nothing but a sheet of plywood screwed over the old rotted stuff.​