Inner fender guards...my rot free way..

JDA1975

Lieutenant
So got some use out of the donor hulls fiberglass.....I needed to replace the inside fender guards (keeps mud from getting on your boat) Originally they were plywood with carpet covering them...so like always one of my hair-brained schemes popped into my head.

created my template with cardboard (I cant get to inside of fender since boat is there...these will NOT be mounted where I have them in picture)

IMG_3596.jpg

Traced template onto old hull (my version of the bow boobs of old!)

IMG_3598.jpg

Then will glue this carpet on...place it on the inside of fender and screw it on...No worry of the wood ever rotting on them now.

IMG_3599.jpg

So if nothing else, I got some use of the old hull

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: Inner fender guards...my rot free way..

ok, so earlier I showed ya how I cut that fiberglass from donor hull and made the mud guards for my trailer...
today I riveted them on, and think it looks perty good overall, and will keep that mud from slinging onto my boat

threw a little color on the inside, but wont stay like that very long so wasn't super particular about it

IMG_3628.jpg

used 5 reevits to tie them to fender...being fiberglass they will never rot, and are pretty stout

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

and yes i realize that one of my bunks is loose...was told to leave one loose until the boat is on it, then tighten it down so its set perfectly...ten loosen and re-tighten second one to set it...we shall see one day lol

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sir, that looks like a fabulous job! Nice work! Looks like your great grand kids will be able to use that beauty. Now don't go getting it dirty, ya hear?:)

shark1600

Cadet

Good idea using fiberglass, i put my guards on the inner side and up about and inch, so if i ran the hull into fender it would hit the wood first.
photo-12.jpg

j_martin

Admiral

Aha, finally found a use for the old Forester tri-hulls in my back yard.

That's freekin' genius.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Good idea using fiberglass, i put my guards on the inner side and up about and inch, so if i ran the hull into fender it would hit the wood first.
View attachment 123579

I had considered doing that, like it was prior to restore, but with the guide bunks right there, I just did not see how I would hit the fenders, so opted for a more pleasing clean look (not saying yours doesn't look good, don't that that wrong), while still keep the mud off my boat.

Aha, finally found a use for the old Forester tri-hulls in my back yard.

That's freekin' genius.

I have a few more ideas on what to do with those old donor hull....will post them via my boat restore thread when I decide if it will work or not lol. Got that donor hull for the windshield, and dont want to pay to scrap it so gonna play with what I can find on it to reuse in some way or another

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

It's not about the pleasing clean look...it's about functionality. You wont be able to see them once you have a boat on the trailer. As you have them mounted now, you'll cause damage to the boat hul from it coming in contact witht he fenders and rivits. If you installed the guards on the outside of the fenders, then the boat would hit the darpeting and not metal.

Looking good and functionality are two different animals when it comes to this situation.

Overall, great idea and nice work.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

It's not about the pleasing clean look...it's about functionality. You wont be able to see them once you have a boat on the trailer. As you have them mounted now, you'll cause damage to the boat hul from it coming in contact witht he fenders and rivits. If you installed the guards on the outside of the fenders, then the boat would hit the darpeting and not metal.

Looking good and functionality are two different animals when it comes to this situation.

Overall, great idea and nice work.

I am not worried about the boat hitting the fenders...they are purely there to keep mud from flinging onto my boat, so the function exactly as planned...the guide bunks are inside the fender, so if something catastrophic enough to push the boat into the fenders happens..i doubt the rivits scratching my hull will be what worries me most.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

For boaters that have disk brakes like mine that use them in saltwater, you typically don't want fender guards as it makes it tougher to wash the brake caliper off. For trailers like this one and drum brakes, its not as much of an issue.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Love me little, love me long.

The love world is big, which can hold hundreds of disappointments;
the love world is small which is crowded even with three people inside.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Don’t waste your time on a man/woman, who isn’t willing to waste their time on you.

Don’t try so hard, the best things come when you least expect them to.

Maybe God wants us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one,
so that when we finally meet the person, we will know how to be grateful.
You sure you posted in the right thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

ahh someone left me a love poem and it got deleted! lol, the things people post just boggle the mind