Inherited 6 HP Evinrude Fisherman (some basics)?s...

D_Wilson

Seaman Apprentice
My wife and I have the good fortune to have just bought some property on a beautiful lake in Ontario. I inherited an old Evinrude 6hp Fisherman that had been hanging for at least ten years in a basement. The serial# is 6602E-E04323. It would not run at first so I took the carb off and found the needle lacquered shut. I blew it loose, cleaned all., reassembeled and it started right up. Now I'm having some big issues with power and such. It often sputters, idles rough, and I'm sure it's not reaching it's full RPM. It runs better at half choke. I'm learning a lot from reading these forums. I plan on replacing the impeller ASAP (it's spitting a good sputter but not a stream), and also the points and condensors. My problem is simple. I don't know what year this is so I'm not sure of what parts to by. I'm assuming it's a 50:1 fuel mixture also but I'm not positive. If anyone can point me in the right direction as a year I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get this motor running top notch to push my new 14" Lund around the lake. Thank you in advance.<br />D Wilson

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inherited 6 HP Evinrude Fisherman (some basics)?s...

1966 Model. 50:1 mix is correct. Points and condensor are a real possibility for your running problems. If it runs better at half choke, I would re-clean the carb out again and use a carb kit this time. Replace the points and post back as to how it runs. Bet it's much better! Point gap is .020. That motor will push you slowly around the lake, but what the heck...

D_Wilson

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Rick for your fast reply. Do you know the best way (place) for me to get parts for this motor? I've looked at the parts section of this website and find it a bit confusing as what exactly to buy. And of course I'm new to this. We have a NAPA and a Canadian Tire store locally, and the nearerst Johnson/Evi dealer is about an hour away. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I could order everything from one place that would be great!<br />Thanks again,<br />David

bubbakat

Captain

I have one of those and just love it. When you order the kit ( which you can get at your napa store) order you a new float to. If yours has the cork float chunk it out because it is covered with varnish and it will flake off and stop the carb up.<br />When you put your gaskets in make sure you put the little gasket under the pick up tube that goes down thru the float. That is where I found my biggest problem. That carb can't gather fuel in but one way and run right and that is thru the jet right under the pick up tube.

D_Wilson

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the points and condensors, and I rebuilt the carb. It runs like a champ now. I must have only been firing on one cylinder before because it runs/idles very smooth now and has much more power. It moves the Lund around nicely. Now I have to tackle the impeller. Also I noticed my float in the carb is in BAD shape. I can't seem to track one down for this engine. Is there anywhere I can get a float for it?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

See if the dealer has one. It will be worth the 1 hour drive to pick one up. If he does not have it, I bet he can order it. Call him first and you may be able to secure the transaction with a credit card if he has to order it. That will save you one trip... Also, the site below will have the float included in the kit, unless otherwise stated. But with shipping and so forth, it will still be cheaper to let the dealer get it...<br /><br /><br /> web page