Information on Tomahawk boat

misfit777

Recruit
Hello, i am brand new to this forum and am seeking info/knowledge on a boat i just picked up from my work.

I know its a Tomahawk but other than that i have no idea what year it is, or model. im hoping to clean it up and redo some of the wiring on it in the future but am hoping to find out that information first.

any insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20231215_122157.jpg
    20231215_122157.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231215_123119.jpg
    20231215_123119.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231215_123129.jpg
    20231215_123129.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240120_120937.jpg
    20240120_120937.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looks kike 60's era fiberglass boat. Just be aware that there is a plywood/ wood skeleton under that fiberglass that is, in all probability rotten after all these years. That will need removed and replaced to make the boat safe for operation. Imaging the boat collapsing at speed while your underway. Be sure you rebuild properly, gonna be a messy and expensive job but doable if you have the patience and time. Cool looking boat !!

misfit777

Recruit
Is there any way to tell if its rotted other than stripping it? and thanks! i figured it was early 60's but its so hard to find anything on Tomahawk boats.

only paid 250 dollars so i figured its worth a gamble

briangcc

Commander
With the snow in it...good chance its got some issues.

Betting minimal floor, if any. May just be ply laid down loose. The MFG in my sig had wood blocks glued/adhered to the hull that had bolts stuck in them. Those bolts were used with corresponding "T-nuts" in brass, that held the plywood floor down. Could potentially be the same in your case.

Transom is going to be the wild card as its most likely/definitely wood encapsulated in glass. Drilling into it down low from the inside is the best way to find out.

Given the size of the boat, probably fairly quick/easy transom replacement if needed.

**Bet if you poke your head under the closed bow there's a sheet of white styrofoam for floatation.

misfit777

Recruit
With the snow in it...good chance its got some issues.

Betting minimal floor, if any. May just be ply laid down loose. The MFG in my sig had wood blocks glued/adhered to the hull that had bolts stuck in them. Those bolts were used with corresponding "T-nuts" in brass, that held the plywood floor down. Could potentially be the same in your case.

Transom is going to be the wild card as its most likely/definitely wood encapsulated in glass. Drilling into it down low from the inside is the best way to find out.

Given the size of the boat, probably fairly quick/easy transom replacement if needed.

**Bet if you poke your head under the closed bow there's a sheet of white styrofoam for floatation.
appreciate the advice! the snow is from a weekend i didnt have it covered. It arrived at our auction with a cover on it..so im not 100 percent sure, thankfully everything feels sturdy at least standing in it. when the weather warms up i will do what you suggest!

mr 88

Commander
Fiberglassics.com.has a nice write up along with models , in the library section under fiberglass boats .

airshot

Rear Admiral
Is there a motor for it.....trailer ?....be prepared to spend a couple thou to get it ready for the water, plus motor, plus trailer. Not trying to scare you off, just trying to be honest.

misfit777

Recruit
Is there a motor for it.....trailer ?....be prepared to spend a couple thou to get it ready for the water, plus motor, plus trailer. Not trying to scare you off, just trying to be honest.
yes the trailer its on and the 35 horse motor come with it