Informantion / Help Needed on 19' Invader Boat, Please

kmclemore

Cadet
I have just purchased a 19-foot 1988 Invader for use at our lake house on upper Lake Champlain. I think it may be a V198 model, although it came with absolutely no paperwork other than a title and a foreign-language manual for the motor (and that's not much help!). It has a Volvo Penta A131D motor and a Volvo 275 outdrive. It's in really good shape, having been garaged by all the previous owners... the sole is solid, original interior has very little fading, cracking or physical damage, and it runs reasonably well. It does need a carburetor rebuild and a rebuild or replacement of the seawater pump, but is otherwise not in need of any obvious repairs. I've restored and maintained other boats - presently I've got a MacGregor 26X and a Boston Whaler Harpoon 4.6, but both are primarily sail boats, so a pure power boat is new to me. That being said, I also restore antique British cars as a hobby and I used to build racing engines, so I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you all can perhaps help with...

First, are there any ways to identify the actual model of this boat? I've searched online for data and photos, but there's not much that clearly identifies models.

Second, are there any online sources for brochures, information, owner's manuals or workshop manuals for these boats? I didn't find much except parts manuals for the Penta.

Third, I'm not sure if I want to just enjoy the boat as-is, or if I want to spend the time and money to restore this boat to its original glory. That question hinges on how much the boat is really worth, and are these boats now considered 'classics' which might be appreciating in value? Most of the ones I found online were, sadly, in a really poor state of repair. So... is this worth restoring?

I'd be grateful for any help or advice you can provide. Thanks!

-Kevin

(Pictures of my 'new' boat are below)

Invader_2.jpg

Invader_6.jpg

Invader_1.jpg

Invader_5.jpg

Invader_7.jpg

0002v1to09gjfq28640x480.jpg

Attachments

• Invader_2.jpg
    Invader_2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0