Info on Anodes

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Info on Anodes

Zinc seems to be the ideal lightweight sacrificial element. Looks to me like you have the A-Z of sacrificial elements.

If anyone can improve on this combination, let them "speak up now or forever hold their piece" ??????? Piece of what ......:%

Mark

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I would get a skeg zinc with a fin instead of a flat one.Way more protection with a fin .

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well Loco, 8) if you are talking about the trim tab, there is just as much Zinc in the other parts or more....which weren't there for 50 years, than in the trim tab....and back in the old days, there was no Zinc on the bottom of the transom bracket.

Mark

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wanted to make sure I was grabbing the right one for saltwater.

fstbttms

Cadet

BrianS. said:
Just wanted to make sure I was grabbing the right one for saltwater.

Maybe too late to help, but it's zinc anodes for saltwater and magnesium anodes for freshwater.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Learn something every day......say what? Never heard of Magnesium sacrificial anodes. But that's not to say that I missed it. d:)

Mark

xtraham

Lieutenant

Galvanic corrosion occurs when there is a dissimilar metal in contact with the magnesium casting and there is an electrolyte present (such as salt water). There is no issue with interior components but for body, chassis or power-train castings there is a likelihood that galvanic corrosion protection will be required. The approach is to isolate the dissimilar metals either by coating one of the components or using an isolating material as a washer to eliminate the galvanic effect.

fstbttms

Cadet

Texasmark said:
Learn something every day......say what? Never heard of Magnesium sacrificial anodes. But that's not to say that I missed it. d:)

mercruiseralphaigeniimagsd.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well get a load of that would you. I had a mercruiser once but didn't have all those babies on it. Course I left salt water 36 years ago so a lot has changed.

Eating crow, yield to the pressure, sorry for the ignorance, man enough to apologize for my stupidity. 8)

And yes I am aware of dissimilar metals, electrolysis, and galvanic corrosion on dissimilar metals especially when they are not in the same group.

But magnesium housings on outboards/outdrives? Who uses that? Thought they were all aluminum (maybe with some copper in it like Mercs XK7 or whatever it is).

Mark