info needed...

s.m.

Recruit
Looking to buy a 1448 Jon boat and a Mercury 9.9 motor to get me up river and float back down using oars.

70 inches wide at beam. Is it practical to think I can control it while slowly floating back. Just to get way from occasional log or hanging tree limbs.
Those oars would have to be huge.

Is it possible/probable/insane.?

Don't want a trolling motor.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The river current will take it where it wants. You need some power or some oars to control the drifting boat.

s.m.

Recruit
I live on river and always have to drive 5 miles up and put canoe in. Float and fish to house Leave my truck sit until I'm done and find a ride up to get it.
I was going to buy 1448 Jon boat, trailor and 9.9 Mercury tomorrow but now I'm not sure because im thinking controlling it with giant oars might not work. Slow moving river with a few sets of riffles.

Not sure if giant oars would work well enough?

"I think

s.m.

Recruit
" I think I'm going to need a smaller boat"

...or a trolling motor.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You don't need "giant" oars, you need "regular" oars. Just google oar size and you'll find a formula based on the beam of the boat.

As a matter of fact, I find that procedure a very enjoyable way to float and fish. I mounted "oar chocks" on the transom to keep the oars out of the way, but handy. My 14 footer handles extremely well with the oars.

Sitting midships at the oar station, I find it easier than using my trolling motor.