Info > Michigan Wheel 3 vs. Solas Amita 4

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello;

This is for information only in case someone is interested :)

I changed out a Michigan Wheel 48 66450A4 17P wheel for a Solas Amita 4 1513-148-15 14.75" x 15P on a 1975 Apollo 19-foot Ford 302 / 888 package.

I installed old style trim / plane tabs to help out the time to initial plane and to keep the bow down. I tried many times to trim the boat while underway and on plane at different speeds with the Michigan Wheel --- results were very little difference if any until finally losing speed and steering control.

After installing the Solas Amita 4 ---> planes much quicker, raises stern / pushes bow down, I can trim 300 to 400 rpm increase and speed increases.

I was never quite sure about the old prop ---- WOT rpm 3600 with Michigan Wheel.

Solas Amita 4 --- WOT rpm about 3900 ---- need to work on power trim skills now that it will trim.

I am also considering removing the trim / plane tabs. I will at least try it with them removed for reduced drag..

I am very happy with the change ---- thank you all for the great information in these posts to help me with my decision to change props and what to look for. :D

Best Regards

OFM

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Info > Michigan Wheel 3 vs. Solas Amita 4

Apollo, that is actually a Mercury prop with those numbers, but I do agree with you that the Solas Amita 4 blade props work really well on most boats that need low end pulling power and stern lift. But what I know about props I know you know about motors, just different genres.

H

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the kind words and attention;

Wow, I thought I changed that prop at least once :redface: If I hadn't hit those rocks I would probably still be running it ---- is is really gone on the inside hub where the exhaust exits. :p

The experience, knowledge, effort and time you freely give is most appreciated :D

Kind Regards

OFM

hwsiii

Commander

If the blades aren't messed up and you just spun the hub, they can usually replace the hub for about $ 35, depending on where you live and you might use it as a spare. But if the blades are messed up as well it usually is not feasible to have it fixed.
I thank you very much for the kind words Apollo, and I know you do the same thing to help people as well with motors.

H