Inflatable boat...stupid question time !

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://images.craigslist.org/3n03k03p05O15P45R4b8f26e385a865ca1037.jpg

I'm just curious why people would have an inflatable boat if it's not to use as a dinghy on a yacht? Personally, I think they're cool and I would like to have 1, but I don't know why???
I saw the above 14' with a 25 horse and am considering it, but what is it used for? I'm looking at it for fishing out of, but the other part of me says, just buy a small fishing boat. What's the attraction for others to an inflatable? Storage?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Inflatable boat...stupid question time !

Fishing hooks, and inflatable's, soomtimes dont work well together. Just my 2cents. Other wise they can be fun to have, as they are light.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've know some sailers that use these as tenders. They are great for transporting people and gear to and from shore. I think there would be durability issues using them as everyday fishing boats (you do use hooks, don't you?). Also, most fishing applications like small lakes and rivers present hazards not found in most harbors like stumps, logs, rocks, etc.

I have been intrigued by the "RIB" rigid-inflatible hybrid boats, they might be more suitable for everyday use. Check them out.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Lightweight, easy to transport, easy to store, can actually be put in the back of a pick-up truck when deflated. Don't worry too much about the fishing hooks. Put your hands on one of those boats. The hull material is tough as nails. It would take alot to put a hook thru one of those.

burmesepythons

Recruit

I have an 11' inflatable that is fantastic and a preferred method for inshore SCUBA diving. It is almost impossible to sink with the multiple air chambers and it is easy to get in and out of. Also, if you are going to drift dive at all, instead of just dragging a dive flag, you drag the whole boat with you. Perhaps the be best thing, the entire boat, outboard and SCUBA gear fits in the back compartment of my Jeep Cherokee, with no need for a trailer.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I wasn't worried about fish hooks, I knew these boats were tough skinned. I don't dive, but I can see the advantage for those that do. I like the idea of truck bed transport. The storage was one of my reasons for looking at one of these.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

They are also easy to beach. They draw very little water and can go a lot of places you wouldn't take a fiberglass boat (even a small one). A small inflatable on a trailer can be towed by a smaller vehicle.

Also, basically the entire boat is a soft cushion so you can sit anywhere.

Very good on gas.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beaching is another attraction to them for me. We like the inter coastal, but I don't want to get the 22' Stingray to close to shore, worry about low tide and so on. We could certainly "explore" remote places and islands with one of these.

the reason you want one is because you know you like speed. That boat in the pic Probally does 50mph. Those little boats fly. There also great for every use. Yes even fishing ive seen people catching tuna in the ocean on one of these. There pretty much unsinkable. you can have the hole inside filled with water and it not sink. if i had the money i would get one. probally the fiberglass hull though.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My uncle hauls his in the "basement' of his motorhome.

He used to FedEx it on ahead when he traveled by motorcycle.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have owned several inflatables using up to 60 horsepower engines. My current inflatable is a Novurana Cancuro. It has a 25 horse Merc two stroke and I bought it and the boat in 1985. It has a rigid keel with wooden floor that I have armored with aluminum. It is rated up to 50 horsepower. The material it is made of is neoprene and Hypolon. Putting a fish hook through this boat is about like putting a fish hook through the tire on your truck, not very likely. Even if the hull tubes are punctured there are three separate sections. In all these years, fishing and diving from it I have yet to puncture the hull tubes. It simply is not a common thing to happen. In fact, it was bitten by a 5 foot bull shark and that did not puncture it either though it did leave a mark.

Inflatables are very seaworthy and make great small dive boats. They can be rolled up and stored in a closet though many of us keep them on a small trailer, deflated until time to use it. They can go into shallow water, can be launched from a beach, many are equipped with wheels (that can be removed) for easy launching and recovery in areas with no ramp. They can carry a huge load and are very stable. Despite being now nearly 26 years old it still is in great shape.

BonairII

Commander

I started out with an inflatable(earlier this year). They are def fun and very stable/seaworthy...but I couldn't stand the inflating/deflating.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've owned three. The first I got in '78. I will never buy an aluminum dingy/rowboat after having them.
They cost more but are much more stable and more comfortable to ride in. They hold more weight for the same size and are near impossible to flip or sink. I can get an 11' with a 5 person rating to plane with a 4hp engine with one person in it. The hypalon material ones are very tough.
Check on the Inflatables forum for lots more info.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dang it, high'n'dry, now I gotta have one.
Thanks guys !!!

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Most RIBs (rigid inflatable boat) will remain afloat even with all the tubes deflated. Having a rigid hull gives a better ride, offers protection to the tubes when beaching, and allows better carrying of stuff. My 16' Zodiac is rated to carry ~2300lbs and up to 9 people.

With two adults onboard, my boat will go 30mph on 40hp (with a pretty dinged up prop). I can tow a 2-person tube with a large adult on it and three people in the boat with no problems.

This brings up a draw back of the inflatable boat. My prop gets chewed up because I end up venturing into too shallow water from time to time.

A rigid hull generally eliminates the ability to roll up the boat, but it is very easy to trailer.

The biggest drawback that I found is that due to the lightness of the boat (even a RIB) and the shape of the hull (the tubes provide a lot of surface) they want to be on top of the waves rather than have the mass to punch through. This can result in a rougher ride for a given wave height than you'd likely experience in a similar sized FG boat if you traveling at speed. A 16' FG boat with a suitable engine is pushing 2K lbs in weight. The same size RIB weighs about 700 lbs. However, if you take it easy you'll be able to get along nicely in waves that would likely swamp the 16' FG boat.

The other thing I like about RIBs is that they are very customizable. If you buy a Bayliner you get what they make. You can change some simple things, but the layout is pretty much fixed. With a RIB you can pretty much do whatever you want to it. For instance, my boat now has the steering console and the seat for the driver near the back. I am thinking of moving the console and seat towards the front of the boat and adding a second bench seat at the back. To do this I'll need to remove a few screws, drill a few holes, and lengthen 3 cables. Try that with your Bayliner (or any other boat).

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I really do want one, but I need to sell another toy first, a "hard to sell" toy. If anyone is into shooting or knows anyone that is, check this out. I've got a VERY "special" gun, capable of 1,000 yard kills, tricked out. Almost $4K wrapped up new, will take less or trade for an inflatable !!!