Inflatable Boat for Offshore fishing

jacky2942

Cadet
Hi,

I am planning to buy Zodiac style inflatable boat for offshore fishing in Northern California (Santa Cruz, CA).

At Santa Cruz Warf, there is rental boat for fishing in their rental boundary (about 1 miles) and the rental boat is 16' skiff with 8HP outboard motor (picture below). I rented this boats a few times and it was really safe when weather condision is ok.

View attachment 151946

I would like to use my own inflatable boat in the area for fishing and fun, but need help to decide which boat and motor is suitable.

I and my brother with two kids (9 years) have enjoyed with the rental boat, so I would do the same with inflatable boat if possible.

Now Saturn SD420 or Bombard Typhoon 420S with 10HP motor is candidated, but also considering Saturn SD385 or Typhoon 360S with 8HP motor. But will consider if 15' or 16' with higher HP moter is must. However, bigger boat and motor weight is too heavy to carry by two adult. Also many time I have to carry it myself only.

Any recommendation for my situation? Is that bad idea and should stick in Lake with smaller boat?

Please help for best decision.

Thank you for your help in advance!!

colding

Seaman
Re: Inflatable Boat for Offshore fishing

What is your meaning of 'offshore'? I consider offshore when I can no longer see land. NO WAY would I be that far out in a rubber raft with a 8HP motor. I would only consider towing that behind my primary boat for an absolute emergency.

jacky2942

Cadet
Re: Inflatable Boat for shore fishing

What is your meaning of 'offshore'? I consider offshore when I can no longer see land. NO WAY would I be that far out in a rubber raft with a 8HP motor. I would only consider towing that behind my primary boat for an absolute emergency.

Sorry about the confusion. I meant "Shore" fishing within boundary area of the rental boat zone.

I can't edit the topic and anything. Nothing happened when I click "save" button after edit. Weird.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A 420 sib is extremely large, wide and heavy. A 380 would be enough for 3 fishermen comfortably seated + gear, caried by 2 into water. If not wanting to spend more money on pricey brands Saturn, Quicksilver in that size could be nice alternatives. If you are going for a new 4 strokes protable 8 HP engine, better go tad higher to 9.8, it's same size and weight, with slight more punch than the 8. Check Tohatsu Outboards.

Happy Boating

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I had a 15.5 ft. Zodiac back in the 70's. Used to take it a couple of miles off shore of Point Loma with three or four divers, fully equiped and it was a great dive boat. Of course it had a 50 HP outboard - after awhile got too much to carry/pump up/lug motor over and mount & launch - so, I built a light trailer and kept it inflated and ready to go.

For less than 15' in length you might be able to rig one of those HF trailers to keep it on and haul to the beach/launch ramp.

EarleW

Cadet

You can also get a dolly that clamps on to the transom, turn it upside down and push it like a wheel barrow. You would have to make two trips one with the boat and one with the motor (motor stand with wheels works). Note: I did not mention gear, cooler, etc. Having another person around would be helpful but by yourself you would have to make several trips to your vehicle without a trailer.

jacky2942

Cadet

You can also get a dolly that clamps on to the transom, turn it upside down and push it like a wheel barrow. You would have to make two trips one with the boat and one with the motor (motor stand with wheels works). Note: I did not mention gear, cooler, etc. Having another person around would be helpful but by yourself you would have to make several trips to your vehicle without a trailer.

What do you think about launching wheel instead of a dolly?
http://www.amazon.com/Launching-Whe...id=1339615269&sr=1-2&keywords=launching+wheel

If I buy Typhoon 360S and 10HP outboard, the weight will be 220lb or total weight with some gears would be about 260lb.

Will it work?

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would calculate costs and benefits here because it can get pricey and if you have young kids going - they may, or may not always enjoy the benefits. There are considerations like available bathroom (none), radios, flotation gear, a place to get out of the sun, trailers, trailer fees, place for storage, maintenance etc.

Having lived in Santa Cruz/Monterey area - you can always catch a fishing charter which will get you out to good spots quickly & safely The only hassle being parking, paying the fee and getting up early in the morning. Sometimes dealing with other fishermen who can be lunkheads. Personal ownership requires a bit of dedication. The acronym BOAT stands for - Bring Out Another Thousand. :D

Those rental boats are great for tooling around and the good thing is you don't have to take care of it at the end of the day.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

Marqui

Cadet

Transom wheel are great. I have a Seamax 380 heavy duty that weights around 225 lbs plus motor 25hp Evinrude 100lbs and the transom wheel do just fine. As long as you are on a relatively hard surface. Soft sand or mud will not work.

You are right to take the weight into consideration, the only way I could handle mine alone would be to disassemble it and reassemble it at the launch ramp. When we load it on the trailer we need three persons to do it comfortably.

Here is how I carry mine around
Here we go.jpg

Lets me carry all of our stuff in the bottom of the trailer, it sort of keeps it out of sight and protects it from the elements a bit.
Loaded for scuba.jpg

There are four sets of diving gear with tanks, fuel tank, motor, and miscelanius stuff. It would never all fit in the car.

jacky2942

Cadet

I would calculate costs and benefits here because it can get pricey and if you have young kids going - they may, or may not always enjoy the benefits. There are considerations like available bathroom (none), radios, flotation gear, a place to get out of the sun, trailers, trailer fees, place for storage, maintenance etc.

Having lived in Santa Cruz/Monterey area - you can always catch a fishing charter which will get you out to good spots quickly & safely The only hassle being parking, paying the fee and getting up early in the morning. Sometimes dealing with other fishermen who can be lunkheads. Personal ownership requires a bit of dedication. The acronym BOAT stands for - Bring Out Another Thousand. :D

Those rental boats are great for tooling around and the good thing is you don't have to take care of it at the end of the day.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

You are right. I am suprising that owning boat is so pricy.
However, I usually go for rock fishing charter with my 7 years boy about 3-4 times a year. And the cost is $200 per each trip. I already spent more than thousands for the charter boat fishing. I think it will pay itself within couple years.

jacky2942

Cadet

Transom wheel are great. I have a Seamax 380 heavy duty that weights around 225 lbs plus motor 25hp Evinrude 100lbs and the transom wheel do just fine. As long as you are on a relatively hard surface. Soft sand or mud will not work.

You are right to take the weight into consideration, the only way I could handle mine alone would be to disassemble it and reassemble it at the launch ramp. When we load it on the trailer we need three persons to do it comfortably.

Here is how I carry mine around
View attachment 152276

Lets me carry all of our stuff in the bottom of the trailer, it sort of keeps it out of sight and protects it from the elements a bit.
View attachment 152277

There are four sets of diving gear with tanks, fuel tank, motor, and miscelanius stuff. It would never all fit in the car.

I need to transport the boat on sand beach for my abalone fishing on Medocino. I have seen other people successfully handle zodiac boat with transom wheel on the beach, so I think it should work too.

I also think trailer is the best option for large inflatable, but my house does not have spot for the trailer or boat.

I should buy 360S and 10HP outboard with transom wheel. I think about 250lb is the maximum weight I can handle myself.

BTW your trailer is really good. I would buy like yours if I have to buy one.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right. I am suprising that owning boat is so pricy.
However, I usually go for rock fishing charter with my 7 years boy about 3-4 times a year. And the cost is $200 per each trip. I already spent more than thousands for the charter boat fishing. I think it will pay itself within couple years.

Holy Mole! Did prices go up! Right on that your kid can go fishing @ age 7! :) That is outstanding. Most kids I take out on the ocean (teens) convince me they can take it, puke and never want to go again. Whale watching / oceanic trips = rail diving!

If you plan on taking it out multiple times & in other areas like Mendicino it certainly makes sense to get a inflatable which you can stow away. I don't know what kind of car you have, but if it's a truck you could possibly roll it up, inflate on site, dolly it into the water. The hard part is dealing with the motor which for a 10 HP weighs around 80-90 lbs and 110 lbs for something like a 15 hp.

Best with your fishing expeditions! Also abalone diving. Nothing like a abalone steak sandwich. :D

EarleW

Cadet

You are right Jacky2942 in the long run you can save a lot of money and have an excellent time out. I have no where to keep a trailer or else I would get one. Otherwise it's not much of a hassle for the return on fun and memories. I have an 11 footer Saturn 330 with an 55lb thrust electric motor and a Antique Johnson HD-25 outboard, I use the electric for a back if needed. I fish on the Navesink River that flows down Sandy Hook Bay at the Jersey Shore. Chris Marina is very accommodating and friendly they will supply extra flotation device if needed for free as long as you are buying your bait and such from them. My boat paid for itself in one season. Plus I don't like offshore fishing, can't stomach it. I like Fluke/Flounder fishing and also Porgies and Black Sea Bass and a lot of crabbing. It's worth the little hassle for the fun and memories you will get out of it.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't really recommend brands, but first go by the weight of the equipment you can comfortably handle. Then pick the largest length and most HP that fits inside those parameters. Transom wheels work great for moving the boat around with the motor attached. Since you will probably want to occasionally beach launch I would recommend getting the biggest tires you can.

The outboard is best gotten as a 4 stroke. 2 strokes are lighter, but they stink and leave oil on top of the water. I would gladly trade my 2 stroke for a 4 stroke. The 9.9HP engines are probably around the size you are looking for. Maybe the shop selling you one would let you put it into your vehicle and place it on the boat?

Boat is again going to be determined by the weight of it first, then get the most length and width you can get. My friend has a little Avon that weighs something like 90lbs. With a 3 gallon gas tank his boat does pretty good. An air floor is what you will probably be getting for convenience. Also get a Bravo pump with a gauge on it. The air floors take a lot of pressure and the electric pump will make you enjoy the boat much more. (A pressure gauge of some kind IS required for inflatable boats.)

Do learn which NOAA buoy to use for your area, and learn to read it carefully. Log it in your smart phone. It can warn you before the bigger waves hit, and I have seem them come up crazy fast. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html