Indoor/outdoor thermometer question.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A while back I got an inexpensive electronic radio shack indoor/outdoor thermoneter as a gift. It had an 'outdoor wire' with some type of 'sensor' at the end.

I put it on my dock with the outdoor wire running into the water (stapled to a piling) and it worked great to give me both air temp & water temp at the same time. Until something (beaver. muskrat, otter?) bit off the wire near the sensor. Same thing happened to 2 friends that had the same thermometer.

Anyone know if there is anything special about the sensor (certain type metal, etc. ), or if it's mainly just a means of getting enough exposed metal surface area to register the external temp? If the latter, I wonder if just soldering something like a spade connector onto the end of the external wire will restore the external temp function.

Hint to anyone else using something similar in the water: attach a piece of plastic conduit to a piling and drop the external sensing wire down the conduit. That will protect it from whatever might want to chew it off.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Indoor/outdoor thermometer question.

Inside the plastic is a thermistor specifically calibrated for your thermometer. You can't replace it unless you have detailed specifications on what to replace it with...and a source to buy the part.

Drrockter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly, on some of our reach in freezers that we make, we use solar thermometers that have bulbs, also, we have temp sensors for our defrost controllers. We use two different controllers, and the sensors look identical, but one will not work with the other.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, I thought someone on here would know the answer!