Increase in fines for talking/texting in Ontario

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
In California they have a plan to tax text messaging. They will have to decide whether they will make more money off the fine or the continued taxing of the text messages.

Glenn

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I seen this in the news today. And since I haven't read all the comments on here, and therefore don't know if anybody else has covered this, Georgia has these same laws too.

If you are caught holding any phone, whether texting or talking, it is a fine. But it seem that law hasn't worked for a lot of people. I still see people at stop signs and red light texting and talking with their phones in the hands. And you know when the red light turns green and everybody drives off but one car still sitting there, they are on the phone.

I still see people holding their phone in the middle of the steering wheel and texting while driving. And even some real brave souls with their phone to their ear talking. I guess the fines are not much to worry about with some people. IDK

While some think they can multi-task, that is not true. Our brains work pretty similar to every computer. It does thing in a sequential routine. It only seems like we can do multiple thing at the same time... We merely split the time up between multiple tasks not doing any of them to our true potential.

I refuse to use a phone while driving. My life and passengers and even others on the road around me, are too important to take for granted. JMHO

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
In California they have a plan to tax text messaging. They will have to decide whether they will make more money off the fine or the continued taxing of the text messages.

Glenn

And today:

The California Public Utilities Commission has withdrawn from its January meeting agenda a scheduled vote on imposing a tax on text messaging.

The move came after the Federal Communications Commission in Washington declared text messaging to be an “information service,” not a telecommunications service, and thus not subject to a surcharge under California law.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
While I agree that distracted driving causes accidents, it is a slippery road.

Just watching the road can be a distraction.
Check your mirrors and you can miss the car in front of you when they slam on the brakes and swerves into your lane.
It only takes a split second.

The Canadian law sounds like it was written by lawyers, for lawyers, to get more business.

With Canada's record on controlling drunks and pot users, I doubt the new laws will work as a deterrent.

I wonder if a conviction, by a foreigner, would be grounds to deny entry into Canada on a future visit?

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I wonder if a conviction, by a foreigner, would be grounds to deny entry into Canada on a future visit?

Shoot, they probably wont let you back in the states....

I like hands free. Makes trips seem shorter when I'm talking to my daughter... Or texting others.... Yup all hands free.. Much safer than holding a phone. At least for us old folks...

bassman284

Commander
Shoot, they probably wont let you back in the states....

I like hands free. Makes trips seem shorter when I'm talking to my daughter... Or texting others.... Yup all hands free.. Much safer than holding a phone. At least for us old folks...

Different strokes, I guess. I'm pretty old myself and the concept of yacking on the phone, hands free or other wise, while i'm driving does not appeal to me at all. I'm not even talking about about the safety aspect, talking to someone while I'm driving would bore me way worse than just driving in silence. I kind of enjoy silence when I can achieve it.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
In San Angelo, Texas, Even Hands Free in a school zone will get you a fine. Daughter got a ticket for distracted driving for eating a breakfast burrito on I-5 South last week. Cost her $162.00

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's kinda ridiculous. As someone said, what's the difference between hands free or talking to the passenger, except there must not have been a passenger...

harringtondav

Commander
Because the help a seatbelt gives varies based on the type of accident.

The problem I see with this is the speed which accident occurs, and the unknown outcomes. I'm not fast enough to figure out if the seat belt will help or hurt, even less to get it on in time. I've been T boned at an intersection. It was over before I knew what happened. So I buckle up and take my chances with the airbags and vehicle's structure. Besides, my newer vehicles won't shut up until I do.