Incorrect Float Chamber?

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, as you may have read I am looking deperately for a repacement carb for my 1988 Johnson 20. I've been through every listing I can find on ebay and all over the web and nothing. I got to thinking after looking over the one I have.

Can I be looking at different years / horsepowers?

Next, I started looking at what my major problem is and I'm thnking it's just the float chamber really. The fitting on the front where the primer hose attaches is broken off and full of JB Weld. Then the high speed jet / orafice plug (?) behind it is completely trashed and I can't remove it. So my question becomes can I just get a new bowl? I think the upper half of the carb is salvageable.

If so what would be the correct part? On the one I have it is stamped "330503"

On OMC's website it lists 2 part numbers - "393130 and 393131" Trouble is they have identical descriptions but one is twice the cost of the other???

So I'm looking at 3 part numbers - what one do I need?

**Update**

As I contiinue looking at my problem I started noticing that the diagram on OMC's site looks quite different than what I have. I've attached pictures for reference. You can't really make out the number on the Float Chamber but it is 330503. Should this match the part numbers on OMC's site? Also, I tried to buy a new float cahmber off their website but I can't get anything to stay in my cart? Anybody else have this problem or is there a better place to buy these things?

Attachments

• Johnson 20hp Carb 001.jpg
    Johnson 20hp Carb 001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson 20hp Carb 002.jpg
    Johnson 20hp Carb 002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson 20hp Carb 003.jpg
    Johnson 20hp Carb 003.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson 20hp Carb 004.jpg
    Johnson 20hp Carb 004.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Incorrect Float Chamber?

33053 is a casting # not a part #.
i'm going to say 393130 is for the 20 hp, 393131 is for the 25 hp. the reason i say this, they mention the 25 on other parts, when they do this they list the diagram model first, also the 393131 is listed on the 25 diagram.

you can order it here, and have it at your door by Thurs or Fri. http://shop.evinrude.com/

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for clearing it up. I got the Float Chamber and Primer Fitting from Evinrude and found the orafice plug new on ebay for $6. I already have a carb rebuild kit so I'm hoping this will get me back on the water!

Is the orafice plug the high speed jet? Also when installing it I'm assuming it just needs to be snug so as not to strip it out?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not a marine mechanic, but here's my guess ... the 393131 part is for "rope start" models, the 393130 is for the "electric start" models. The reason I say this is because I found a diagram of the carburetor that indicates that item #30 is a "CLAMP, Solenoid With Electric Primer Pump"

88Evinrude20CarbBowl.jpg

It seems to me that a rope start motor wouldn't have an electric primer, so the carburetor wouldn't need a clamp for one either! Maybe the only difference between the two part numbers is this clamp.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good point - that is the diagram I was looking at as well. Mine is a rope start so I won't need that clamp for the electric primer. I ordered the 393130. If it comes with the clamp I'm assuming it will still fit I just won't need it. Not to mention it was almost half the price of the 393131. Hopefully that's the only difference and she'll be running again next weekend.

On a side note I picked up a can of OMC Engine Tuner when I got the carb rebuild kit. Is this stuff a good carb cleaner? I figure I'm going to go ahead and get the upper half cleaned and rebuilt while I'm waiting for the bowl to arrive. I figure I'll just give it a good squirting everywhere.