Inboard Yamaha ME420sti diesel

rioryanjr

Recruit
Inboard Yamaha ME420sti diesel

I have a 26ft Osprey with and Inboard Yamaha ME420sti diesel engine. and it is leaking water just below the timing cover can't
precisely spot where the leak is coming from or maybe from the seawater pump.. It has 520hours and its slip park.. what's the
chance that my engine water pump is leaking? or maybe the seawater impeller is bad... It overheats also just above 2000rpm!
any ideas? the diesel run very smooth. I seem to be having a hard time finding a water pump, thermostat, impeller for this engine.
This is the 1st problem in 14years. I really need help also with finding parts. Can't seem to find parts for this engine! I plan to fix
the problem myself to save some money.. any advice before taking it apart!... I've done gas engine but not marine diesel!
its been a super reliable boat and I think I can figure out the cooling schematic. but expert from people like you guys
can speed things up! any feedback is much appreciated! thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Got some serial numbers,..??

What drive,..??

What vintage,..??

Got any pictures,..??

rioryanjr

Recruit
osprey.jpg Hi sir ,

Thank you for ur reply, the following specs are.

Vintage 1999 long cabin Osprey with a
yamaha stern drive inboard.
engine s/n# 6TA P 820515
model# ME420STI.
6 cylinder diesel

Looking for this parts.
water pump. YUI-61001-95-35
Waster gasket YUI-62711-70-10
Sea water pump impeller 6TA-12427

This all for now.

I'm new in boating world, had the boats for just half a year and its been fun and challenging just to own one..

Need your suggestion if you have any? thinking of repowering this boat with either a yanmar or cummin diesel6 you know of anyone in this forum whose done one? this yamaha motor is obsolate and needs to go.. fix it up and park it for spare.

Thank you. Rio..

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
OK I have some second hand information that I don't know how accurate it is;
Is the Yanmar 6LP the same basic engine as the yamaha ME420,, and they are both marine versions of the Toyota 1HDT ?
Is the Yamaha a re badged Yanmar ? Do any parts swap? Or did Yamaha do their own marine conversions ?
Maybe something for you to research . That's all I know which is basically NOTHING :)
What country are you in?

Capt Ken

Commander
These are strictly built for the European market. There was some imported into the states years ago via Alaska and due to it using the Yamaha Hydra-Drive, I've had a few calls over the years. Not comparable to anything available in the states. Even the Hydra-Drive is different from those sold here in the states.

rioryanjr

Recruit
Someone attach a link for a for sell ME420! In UK, wow this post is working already.. will contact the seller..

rioryanjr

Recruit
Also, I tried to reply using my PC home but it say I'm not authorize but seem to work on my mobile cell phone! Doesn't make sense..