Inboard vs I/O

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to upgrade to a 30 to 33 ft express cruiser. I only have experience with I/Os. My friends all are pushing me toward inboards because of less maintenance and better durability. Yet when I look at used boat adds, I see a lot of 10 year old boats advertising new v drives, transmissions etc. Were these people rough on their boats, or do inboards fail just as regularly as I/Os. I don't run fast, so I don't need that extra 1 mph from trimming the I/O, I also don't run often shallow, where the tilt is handy. So if there is an advantage to inboards, I'd buy one (actually two). If not, I/Os are still cheaper, and more plentiful in this size range. Any opinions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Inboard vs I/O

You do not want I/O's on a non trailerable boat. Think about the maintenance required, gear lube changes, alignment checks, gimbal bearing lubrication. All needing done at 100 hour or yearly basis (which ever comes first).
Now, if you plan on pulling the boat at the end o the season, it doesn't make much difference, but straight inboard or V drives are much less maintenance.

Bifflefan

Commander

Inboards also have a lot more shallow draft. Much less chance of hitting the bottom with the prop.
My friends 33' has a draft of 18" I think. my 20' bow rider is 33".

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

If i had a choice right now i would go pure inboard.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Inboards also have a lot more shallow draft. Much less chance of hitting the bottom with the prop.
My friends 33' has a draft of 18" I think. my 20' bow rider is 33".

but... you can always tilt an I/O up. Bury an inboard in sand and it is much tougher to get out. Most I/O's are safe to run at idle speed tilted up also, you can run with the prop just below the surface for short distances.