Inboard to outboard conversion?

VCINRI

Cadet
I am interested in converting a 31' Formula from inboards to Outboards.

The current power is 318's with V drives. The transom and all stringers are solid but I would feel a little better about reinforcing the transom prior to mounting a bracket and a pair of big outboards on it.

Any experiences or advice?

Thanks,
VC

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inboard to outboard conversion?

many have done the i/o to ob conversion......lots dont like the results when done.

the boat handles funny does not seem to be what the owner wanted.

however....on the other hand.....some here have done it and liked it.

are you intending on replacing the transom or just plugging the holes?

VCINRI

Cadet

The hull has straight inboards with v drives. The engines are mounted a couple of feet from the transom. So hopefully, it will handle the weight a little easier.

I would like to seal up all the related inboard holes and beef up the transom to mount a twin bracket on it. I am really impressed with the hull and think it worth the effort.

Thanks for your advice.

VC

Attachments

• Formula 1.jpg
    Formula 1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0

VCINRI

Cadet

Anybody?

How about which bracket would be better for twin 300hp's? Fiberglass or aluminum?

Thanks,
VC

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What is your level of experience in boat building? Do you have a shop large enough for the task?

I am normally supportive of all restoration projects and I will be up-front. This project is a bad idea.

Do you have the motors on hand? Twin 300's used are going to run close to $40K (with rigging and props)...... the change in center of gravity will drastically change the way the boat handles AND I would not begin to guess where the motors are to be mounted. The weight change will also change the way the boat sits in the water. It will probably take a Marine Architect/Engineer to design the right position.

That boat basically has no transom right now that will support weight or drives since it is an inboard.

You would be cheaper to rebuild or replace the current V-8's instead of creating a "frankenboat"

Unless you have ton's of disposable income I would not convert that boat from inboard to outboard.

That would also require a different trailer.

What is the interior like? The interior could also consume a ton of money. I can see by the photo that the exterior of the hull appears rough so....... a gel coat job is required too.