Inboard/ I/O Engine Hoist Ideas?

Hey all. Completed a project over the weekend removing a 454 and changed the engine coupler (pictures below). Normally a skid steer or forklift is used to hoist engines out, I’ve done a bunch, but my resources were limited and I had to get creative. I was wondering if anyone has ideas of a engine hoist that could be assembled and transported job sight to job sight either mounted in a truck bed or can be used in the boat with enough room? I thought about using one of these
however theres no ability to move forward or back if lets say the motor is tucked back in the Aft of the bilge and your limited by the size of the boat fitting under this crane. Has anyone mounted a crane in the back of their truck before that can extend farther than a traditional engine hoist? Ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3139.jpeg
    IMG_3139.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18

alldodge

Staff member
If you find an old cable wrecker, can attach or make a Jen pole and do it that way. Other wise a Backhoe and chain host makes it safe and semi easy

lift1.JPG

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I would locate a portable gantry.

Can be disassembled for transport and fit in an 8' pickup bed and assembled to remove the engine

I have a friend that sneaks his grandkids wooden swingset off their property to use as a gantry. Not the safest but it works until the kiddos notice their playset is missing

If you don't want to do that much work there are many crane truck operators/service available nationwide.

If that's too expensive then you should put your effort/money into inventing a rig to perform this task. Inventing gets pretty expensive rather quickly ime, at least to do things right

Maybe removing a boat engine off site isn't a viable option for you?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Overhead crane at work a few times

Wood gantry twice

Kids swing set a few times

A-frames have wheels, used them a few times. Even bought a harbor freight A-frame and hoist off CL, used if gor a while and then resold it

I would locate a portable gantry.

Can be disassembled for transport and fit in an 8' pickup bed and assembled to remove the engine

I have a friend that sneaks his grandkids wooden swingset off their property to use as a gantry. Not the safest but it works until the kiddos notice their playset is missing

If you don't want to do that much work there are many crane truck operators/service available nationwide.

If that's too expensive then you should put your effort/money into inventing a rig to perform this task. Inventing gets pretty expensive rather quickly ime, at least to do things right

Maybe removing a boat engine off site isn't a viable option for you?

I like the idea of gantry’s however they limit your ability by job depending if the boat can fit between it; atleast one like the HF I posted. A forklift is limited too when swim platforms exist. I’m all about investments which is why I’d like to hear about other ideas since there’s so many unique ways to pull a motor. I know somebody who calls a tow truck service upon motor removal lol. Not exactly a fan relying on other people.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I built a "Old West hanging scaffold" to pull my I/O engine. It had 4X4 uprights and a double 2X10 header. It also had several 2X4s to brace it. Use deck screws to assemble, and it can easily be disassembled.

Back the boat under it, attach the cum-a-long to the block and lift her out. Pull the boat forward, and lower the block to work on it.

Grub54891

Admiral
I searched some videos quick of Jen poles… nifty idea. This guy has me thinking.

looks like a good setup/ He said the weak link is the pully but, I think the upper chain hooks on the beam need to be true welded loops. The ones on there are chain link's and can bend.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Way too many things he didn't execute good enough. I would not trust that setup. If done correctly it would do fine

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
1. Base pivot needs to be wider... like a square. It should hold close to max capacity side load. Chains are mainly positioning.i see that lower ear bending.
2. He butt welded 2 pieces together to make jib. I would use 1 piece..... including the eye at the end. Welds fail and I wouldn't want to drop a motor thru a client's boat.
3. Chain mounts are horrid. Could bolt chains to jib(2 separate connections) or cut a hole with a slot that chain rests in.
4. Some type of safety chain once load is in the air.

I made something similar on a cart for hanging beams on superman tower six flags California. I used a 10 ton hoist ram instead of chains and had a 3 ton chain fall instead of electric winch