Inboard fuel tank clogged filters and pickup tube

brodius

Seaman
I have a new Yamaha motor but older boat and fuel tank. Replaced fuel lines filters water separator and primer bulb but there is a lot of gunk and sediment in the bottom of tank that is clogging pick up tube and filters once I have it on the water. What is the best way to clean this out is there something I can add to the fuel?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I have a new Yamaha motor but older boat and fuel tank. Replaced fuel lines filters water separator and primer bulb but there is a lot of gunk and sediment in the bottom of tank that is clogging pick up tube and filters once I have it on the water. What is the best way to clean this out is there something I can add to the fuel?
Not sure I would do this recommendation but years ago when I was young my boat stopped running and I noticed my primer bulb was caved in. My brother and I removed the pickup tube and noticed the screen all plugged up. Since I was running a large size spin on fuel filter we decided to just remove the screen and run it changing the filters often.

That worked out fine for us.

I think in your case, pumping out all the fuel or replacing the tank is in order.

Good luck.

brodius

Seaman
i am considering removing the screen in the pickup tube and useing the spin on racor filters to catch and debris in the system. i would rather have a few filter on board if this happens again. What rated filters should i use?

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is the motor carb'ed or fuel injection? Like I said I'd pump out the gunk, not run it thru the motor. Once the gunk is cleaned out I'd use a 10 micron fuel filter/water seperator.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Is the motor carb'ed or fuel injection? Like I said I'd pump out the gunk, not run it thru the motor. Once the gunk is cleaned out I'd use a 10 micron fuel filter/water seperator.
Not sure if pumping out the tank will get it all that's why we did what we did at the time.

I know there are company's that will do it for you so many be the have better ways.

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Need more info. Your options are: getting a fuel polishing guy to clean the fuel or pump it out completely. This depends on how old the fuel is. If old, pump it out and he can assess how dirty the tank is and best way to clean it. Another option, if the tank itself Is really dirty and can be easily removed, it may be easier/better just to replace it.

brodius

Seaman
the tank has been cleaned before and the gas in it it new.... removing the tank seems a little extreme here

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
the tank has been cleaned before and the gas in it it new.... removing the tank seems a little extreme here
There is no miracle fuel additive that will fix it. If it was done before and you still have a problem than that points even more to replacing it. It's either your tank is decomposing or you are buying fuel that is no good.

How big is the tank and it's aluminum I take it?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
How was the tank drained and cleaned?
that is the big question.

Since you say it was cleaned and all fresh gas put in and it still is plugging things up, whatever draining, and cleaning was done was not very effective

brodius

Seaman
its a poly tank and i finally got it on water with new racor filter and was able to run it for an hour or so before filter clogged up with some water and alittle bit of gunk/sediment. I have small portable tank onboard to use and i can change filters. hopefully the filters will clean this stuff out and i can run it for a full day