In water for the winter

Boston Habba

Seaman
My son bought a boat that will need to stay in the water (salt) this winter. We both know very little about I/Os. How do you winterize an I/O that will be in the water during the freezing weather?

Thanks

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: In water for the winter

BTW, where are you (the boat) located. Area weather can play alot to how much you winterize...

Boston Habba

Seaman

Boat is in Boston harbor. Below freezing for most of the winter. The boat will not be run until spring.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

more of an issue of what hoses will contain water. The block and manifolds can be drained but what about the water inlet hose?

Maclin

Admiral

LOTS to think about. Will it be under a roof, will you need agitators to keep the ice broken up around it and the dock, will it have shore power for bilge pumps and other electrical like heaters, all that and more to consider.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

You could fill the block and all of the hoses with Antifreze. Ensure there is power for running bilge pumps. I would hope it is under a roof to keep snow off and out. If not, put a cover on it. If docked and you have access to shore power, install a plock heater and keep it plugged in.

Really the best bet is to take it out of the water if not going to be used, but I understand that may not always be reasible...

Boston Habba

Seaman

Thanks guys,

It will be on a mooring within spitting distance of a dock. I was thinking about draining the block, manifolds and hoses and refilling with antifreeze. Outdrive will be in water so that shouldn't freeze. Not too worried about snow buildup. It's not an open boat- picture a Volkswagon bus on a hull- not much deck room for snow to accumulate.

I agree that storage out of the water would be best but he's a 20 year old not too good on long term planning!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

The thing about snow is it adds weight and when it melts turns into water which is not good inside of a boat. Take all precautions you can to keep the snow off and keep the interior as dry as possible...

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Is this post wierd, or is it just me?

I don't think it is unheard of for Boston Harbor to completely freeze over...not usually, but certainly some sections of it do every year. I recall in recent years the coast guard being in the news, having difficulty getting their ice breakers through. If such a cold snap happens to be THIS winter, shifting and crushing ice can't be good for the hull of most boats that have not been designed for it...

If it were MY boat, I'd be consulting with a marina that is right there in your that specific location...someone whoknows the exact DOCK you're talking about mooring it near...and get their opinion on what needs to be done for your specific boat, parked in your specific location, since they will have experience on how that harbor treats boats like this one while floating over the winter.

Seems to be there are waaayyy too many variables in your specific situation to just get generic advice from people on the internet who likely have never even seen the area you're talking about and still have no idea even what kind of boat you're asking about...I've never seen a VW bus on a hull...I think few here have even the slightest concept of what this thing is you're asking about.

People here tend to focus on engine issues. Which is nice. But in your son's case, it seems to be the larger risk is the idea of the entire boat sinking when nobody is looking...in which case your antifreeze treatment will be of little consolation.

And let me just close by admitting that I have absolutely ZERO qualifications to be giving advice on this topic...which is why I defer to pros. But I think if I were you, I'd be seeking such advice locally.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Boston Harbor proper doesn't really freeze, but you can bet most of the protected harbors the marinas are in do. Green Harbor just south where I boat froze up solid, as did Dorchester Yacht Club (Boston)

BUT that said, people leave their boats in year round here all the time. I can't tell you what precautions they take but lobstering certainly doesn't stop.

I think the biggest concern I would have is snow buildup. if scuppers and drains block up from ice or debris it won;t take long to get top heavy. I'd be checking on this thing every few days. Battery dies and no bilge pump, especially with no shore power for backup, would cause me more heartburn than it's worth.

I understand not getting it out today, but we still have another month or two of boating (my season is kind of just getting started here! ;) ). He can't plan to have it pulled and stored in the next month or two? I mean you re going to bear the cost of winterizaton in the water or out, so the difference is a haul out and a cheap place to lay it up if you don't have the space. It's doubtful we will have any extended freezing temps before Xmas so draining the block down would probably suffice to combat a freak hard freeze, but there is more to winterizing than that.

M

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

One of my customers thought he could stay in because he had fresh water cooling system, trouble was everything from the seacock ,hose to raw water pump, hose to the exchanger froze solid.Creek only had skim ice on it but the hoses were "above water" so to speak.