In-Line Fuel Filter Question

airshot

Rear Admiral
High volume gasoline stations have the least water in their tanks. They have thought of raining when filling. Stick with them for clean fresh fuel.

Do install a water separator, however.
Depends on your area, a friend works at local refinery. In our area we have inspections on fuel storage facilities every so often. The inspectors claim the popular stations don't change filters and clean out tanks like they should because they are to busy and don't want to be offline for a period of time. I am lucky as we have a farm co-op fueling station for the many farmers in the area. They go overboard in the fuel maintenance and always pass inspections with flying colors. Some areas have no required inspections and those areas are the ones to stay away from. The big city near us, just busted a number of popular stations for excess water and other crud in their tanks. I never buy gas in the city, have had to many issues in past years. We have a number of trailered boats coming out into our country co-op to fuel their boats. Best bet is to check your fuel frequently for impurities and water.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Why would a high volume station give bad fuel, when it pumps 10K gal per shift. They would lose business to the local shmo. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Why would a high volume station give bad fuel, when it pumps 10K gal per shift. They would lose business to the local shmo. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?
Because they don't take the time to clean the inground tanks and change the filters. Some areas have no requirements or inspections. If you look up Toledo Ohio, you will find there have been lawsuits and inspection issues with a number of popular stations having high amounts of water and other impurities in their tanks causing issues and engine damage to numerous vehicles. If you look it up, you will find it is a big problem across the country, especially in larger cities and with high volume stations......

cyclops222

Ensign
Well ? Now I am having not clean sparkplugs after a WOT run. It seems like the Marina gasoline is weak crap. DUUUHHH
THe sparkplugs look identical after WOT for a mile. Or idling around for most of 1 hour. Starts instantly. I am NOT doing anything until I get a new ( good one ? ).and a laser dot thermometer. From Harbor Fright.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Because they don't take the time to clean the inground tanks and change the filters. Some areas have no requirements or inspections. If you look up Toledo Ohio, you will find there have been lawsuits and inspection issues with a number of popular stations having high amounts of water and other impurities in their tanks causing issues and engine damage to numerous vehicles. If you look it up, you will find it is a big problem across the country, especially in larger cities and with high volume stations......
Gee, don't have time to clean tanks and filters? That sounds like crap.

They may not want to change filters, but they do have the time to do it. I am not sure what the laws and regulations are about changing filters, but if a gasoline station gets a reputation about bad gas, I would think their business would suffer, as there are plenty of gasoline stations with good reputations.
I am glad I do not live in Toledo. Here in NJ we are lucky enough to get clean fuel with no debris or water in it, from the high volume gasoline stations.

cyclops222

Ensign
Well ? Now I am having not clean sparkplugs after a WOT run. It seems like the Marina gasoline is weak crap. DUUUHHH
THe sparkplugs look identical after WOT for a mile. Or idling around for most of 1 hour. Starts instantly. I am NOT doing anything until I get a new timing light ( good one ? ).and a laser dot thermometer. From Harbor Fright.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Gee, don't have time to clean tanks and filters? That sounds like crap.

They may not want to change filters, but they do have the time to do it. I am not sure what the laws and regulations are about changing filters, but if a gasoline station gets a reputation about bad gas, I would think their business would suffer, as there are plenty of gasoline stations with good reputations.
I am glad I do not live in Toledo. Here in NJ we are lucky enough to get clean fuel with no debris or water in it, from the high volume gasoline stations.
People will buy the cheapest fuel, no matter what !! My mechanic tells me over 10% of his business is water in fuel issues. We have inspectors for in ground fuel tanks here, but when they know the inspector is comming by they clean the night before.