Impossible boat hunt?

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice
I seek a family fishing boat. Easy enough right? The requirements are the impossible part.

1) Family of 4...2 adults and 2 small kids (growing). We are used to our family and 2-3 other adults crammed into a 18ft Lund utility hull.

2) Almost must be cartopable. We most often pull a popup tent trailer behind our Chev Venture minivan. So trailering is not an option as is a second tow vehicle.

3) Large open lakes often choppy. we are very familiar with weather at these lakes and when never to go on the water....but you know wind n chop hits sometimes.

I had heart set on a Clipper MacSport 18ft square back canoe or a Grumman 19ft square canoe.

Wife wants a proper boat as I already have a canoe that I use a lot for solo fishing. We dont even come clost to all fitting into my Oldtown Guide 14ft.

Considering some of the 12ft utility aluminum V fishing hulls. Like the lightweight Lund A12, Crestliner XCR1257, MirroCraft 4652. Also found something like this (not sure of weight)

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-12-ft-Alum-Boatw-6-hp-motor-W0QQAdIdZ112446217

Any 14ft are too heavy for minivan or camper top. Jon boats not good for our lakes. Mod V jons look promising but all too heavy.

Am I just dreaming that a rooftopable 4 person big lake fishing boat is possible?

Any other suggestions.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Impossible boat hunt?

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe some sort of inflatable or possibly carrying the boat on top of the camper, sort of a ramp set up that lets you piggy back the boat to the campsite, then unload the boat and take it where it needs to go?

I've got a rather large 12' boat, and in my opinion it's a one man boat, with a 540lb max weight limit, there's not much room for another man with my 300lb self in the boat. The same goes for most 14 and 16' boats. Even my 18' Starcraft cuddy cabin is pretty crowded with just three adults.

Maybe several canoes on a rack? Two on the pop up, one on the van?

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Option A: Stop being intimidated by the thought of cartopping a 14 foot aluminum utility boat. Yes, that means you and the wife are going to have to lift a 200 lb boat on top of the tent trailer, but 4 of you in a 12 footer will be cramped and pushing the weight limit. Not fun and not the safest thing when the prairie wind blows up. As an example, the Mirrocraft 4650 would be a better fit than the 4652 - longer, wider, deeper, twice the load capacity. Yes, the hull is 195 lbs, but you won't get wet in light chop and you have a much better chance of not getting swamped if you get caught out in a storm. You can go smaller if you guys are on the small side and you really can't lift that much, but I'd consider something the size of the Crestliner XCR1457V (140 lb hull, 700 lb weight capacity) to be an absolute minimum.

Option B: Go big. Double towing is legal in Saskatchewan if your lead trailer is either a 5th wheel or a ball hitched tandem axle. If you trade the minivan and tent trailer for an SUV and a small tandem axle camp trailer (or a crew cab pickup and small 5th wheel), you can look at a wide assortment of smaller trailer boats. Just make sure the boat weighs less than the camper, the total weight of both is within the rating of the tow vehicle and the overall length is under 23 m. You'll probably need a minimum tow rating of 5000 lb. Laws are a bit stricter in Alberta, so go with the 5th wheel and keep the length below 20 m if you ever plan to come here.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as said you do not mention your tow vehicle. personally i would go with a 16 foot aluminum, fishing boat, there are many helpful loading apparatus, that are available. to load on vehicle or the the trailer. you can also put a receiver hitch on the front of the vehicle, and an insert to mount a outboard motor, this keeps the motor out of the trunk of the car, and the camper. http://loadit.com/Flash.html

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I would highly recommend an Inflatable.

Specifically I would think a Zodiac Futura MK III would work. They have a high pressure air floor or an aluminum floor model. The air floor model only weighs 81 pounds and is rated to hold 1200 lbs.

You didn't mention what you had in mind for power. I assume you plan to have 15-25hp motor. This would work for this type of boat just fine.

Fish hooks are a concern around inflatables. However, care is required in any boat.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

When my family was young, I totally skipped the popup camper/trailer step. Went straight from tents to an RV that was used to pull my bass boat.

Mom & kids got a more comfortable place to stay and I got a better boat!

Win-win all the way. :D

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

impossible, i think. I have a 14 wide deep starcraft, barely feels safe on big open lakes when the wind kicks. but more important it is hard to fish with me and 2 boys, let alone another adult. Most important, I could never get the damn thing on top of a car or tent camper. very heavy built, I trailer it. I can barely slide along the grass when I beach it.

One idea - buy another canoe, one on the mini van, one on the camper, an adult in each canoe with a kid.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

Tow vehicle is a Chev Venture Minivan. I am not a SUV guy....too cheap for that. Tenttrailer is a 10ft starcraft. No way would I tow anything behind the tent trailer. And the tent trailer is a MUST. Camping is the main priority and boating is the secondary.

Yea I am intimidated by dragging a 14ft aluminum V on top of the van or camper. I can do the 80lb canoe I have but thats pushin it. Then add wet weight after boating. Even dreamed about light folding portable trailer. LOL this sucks.

OK I have looked at some of the inflatable Zodiak style boats around. Now that looks almost promising. Very actually. Only major concern is the hook thing :) and hull durability in a rocky boulder ridden lake that can be harsh on lund hulls.

My wife invisions me dropping my fish line scissors. POP.....pfshhhhh. Or the gravel/rocky beach landings for the standard outing shore lunches/ pottie breaks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do some reading in the inflateables forum, and ask some questions. get educated on inflateable. there are 2 types pure inflateable, and then there is the RIB rigid inflateable boat.

woosterken

Lieutenant

how about a good sized toon? mount the tent camper on the toon.plenty of floor space for fishing and relaxing.
then camp is where ever you are!

woosterken

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

lol thats a great idea. convert camper into a toon....strap a few grumman canoes on and go.

Really liking Zodiac Futura MK III kind of boats. Just gotta et enough proof that they wont deflate or pop on a rock. Trying to explain that they are used extensively by marine military and rescue for a reason. And whitewater rapids also.

Yea I am starting reading through the inflatable topics.

Thanks for the advice and ideas so far.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can load an 80 lb canoe solo, you can load a 200 lb boat with help. Picking up a canoe in the middle and getting it over your head is awkward. Two people picking up a boat by the bow and stern is easy by comparison. Not sure if you're thinking of loading it on top of the tent trailer or the minivan, but a longer boat may be easier to load on top of the minivan even if it's heavier because you'll be able to stay under it and set it on the rack rather than trying to slide it on from the side.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Really liking Zodiac Futura MK III kind of boats. Just gotta et enough proof that they wont deflate or pop on a rock. Trying to explain that they are used extensively by marine military and rescue for a reason. And whitewater rapids also.

They are very durable. The uses you mention are proof of that. Rocky shores shouldn't be too much of a problem. Common sense of course is required.

They aren't bulletproof. My brother in law did poke a hole in my dads with a fishing hook once and it had to get patched. That's my bol for you. He didn't pay any attention to the fact that his tackle box tipped over and a hook slipped down beside the floor and poked into the side of the tube. The boat didn't just sink. In fact we didn't know there was an issue until several hours later. Also, they are designed to have have multiple air chambers so that if one of them leaks you can hopfully stay afloat long enough to get to shore.

They fold up and are easy to store and transport.

Brand new they aren't cheap. However, with a Zodiac you get what you pay for.

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm theres a 16ft Achillies ex-fire rescue boat for sale here. $2500 includes 20hp. If its still around in may when ice is gon I might have to check it out.

Yea seen the new price of a size-we-need zodiak....then the $$$$ for a 30hp motor.

Will seek used says the wife.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Years ago when my family was young n small, a small boat was okay - but- It always rattled my nerves as the boat was close to being at its capacity along with not much room to do anything. Being the skipper and responsible for all the souls on board, I knew this would not last as I could not fully enjoy the outings worrying about safety. We too also loved our camping as well as boating.

Of course there were many friends that also wanted to go out fishing. Capacity is capacity and nothing you can do to modify that. Some of the friends got their own boat and I moved up from a 12' to a 14' Larson. The Larson still had limited room, but was able to cruise much faster and take in some water sports. As my kids grown, the 14'er became to small. We then moved up to a 20' Deep Vee Stingray with an i/o. This tuned out to be probably the best boat for all our needs. We only hated it when the weather turned bad on weekends. That is when we went full out and got a boat with a decent size cabin.

Now the weather doesn't bother us, we still spend our weekends on the boat, plenty of room for our grown kids with the incoming flux of grandkids. Its a bit too big for water sports, but we rent the local speed boat from the marina for that purpose. Its cheaper to rent for a few weekends than a payment for X amount of years in payments and maintenance.

We call it our Camper on the water and have no desire to become land based campers. Take time and look at the alternatives and possibilities. There are many to choose from. Good luck in your endeavors.............SS

zapblam

Seaman Apprentice

Think I found the closest thing yet to what I need. Smokercraft Voyager.

http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/ShowModel.aspx?ModelID=752&SeriesID=122

185 lbs though. Probably 200 in reality. Plus wet weight. Plus. Found sources for a roof rack for my camper. As well might have found a folding aluminum boat trailer.

They also have the cheapie lightweight Canadian Model 14 at 135lbs. But a lot less width and depth.