impeller

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 86 bayliner with a 290 duoprop out drive and it has freshwater cooling with an impeller that runs off the crankshaft. have looked thru the manual many times wondering if the out drive has a impeller to but it does not show one or how to replace.
So I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a impeller in the out
drive?. I dont have over heating problems and water shoots out were it suppose to oh and its an old style out drive with a electric tilt if that helps at all. Thanks for any and all help. Pete J

Attachments

• outdrive 001.JPG
    outdrive 001.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • outdrive 002.JPG
    outdrive 002.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • outdrive 003.JPG
    outdrive 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
It wouldn't have both, and looking thru the parts diagram I don't see one either

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info and that is what I have thought. Thanks a lot for the many times you have answered many of my questions on different motors:) always right to

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's no impeller in the o/d, but there is the water pickup hose running from the drive to the transom plate and a waterneck mounted on the drive designed to deteriorate overtime. These items along with the bellows that are serviceable items which should be replaced periodically.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats some great info there I did not know about waterneck needing replacement or did I know were it sucked up water at. Had the boat for at least 3 years now to:( I did know about bellows though. Thanks for info.
I have been boating for at least 8 years but always had outboards with impeller