IMPELLER

I have a 77 omc Stern Drive. I have replaced the impeller and housing, circulating water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing and the boat is still overheating. Maybe I put the impeller in backwards. Is there a certain direction that you have to put it in?

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer
Re: IMPELLER

the impellor instructions will show you which way to put it in, however under load it will auto adjust even if you got it in backwards.

One thing I can think of is you might have missed the key for the impellor shaft. There is a small magnetic moon shaped "key" that fits in a groove in the water pump shaft and seats against a similar groove in the impellor. This is easy to loose or have slip out when assembling the impellor. I am guessing you might just be spinning the shaft. without the "key" the impellor will not turn.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

or there is an obstruction causing it to overheat - sometimes the shutters have been known to do this

The key is in place. I'm not sure if there is an obstruction. Is there a way to flush this model sterndrive? There is no place to put muffs on it...

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

there should be a hose hookup on the starboard side outdrive pivot

I do not see any hose hookup on the side. This is a 77 OMC 120 stringer. 400 sterndrive (electric shift)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They didn't come with the hose fitting automatically. That was a plate that you had to buy to replace the plate that is already on there.

85_1.JPG