Impeller Replacement?

bugup

Seaman
I am wondering how you know when you should replace your impeller. What are the signs that it may be wearing out? I have no cooling problems, however, I also want to make sure that I am doing the correct prevenative maintenance.<br /><br /> :confused:

tm lihou

Cadet
Re: Impeller Replacement?

How old is the impeller? Just replaced mine this year...it was 3 years old. Cost me $300 Canadian. I had no trouble at the end of last season, but when she fired up this spring it wasn't sucking any water.<br /><br />From what I understand, three years is about average for an impeller in a Merc, which is what I own.<br /><br />Not sure about OMC.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

anytime there is doubt about the impeller... it should be changed as well as the other maint. that goes with it

Bsturkie

Seaman

I have a Volvo Penta and the impeller runs about $30-$40. Its really easy to change on my motor so I have no excuse for not making sure its in top shape. When I purchaced the boat, the old impeller blades were gone! Where do you think they ended up? In the heat exchanger, clogging many of the heatsink passages. So I had to remove the heat exchanger and clean. About a 2 hour job + 1 gasket. So save your self some trouble and replace it if you have any signs of wear.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta agree with lilmandavis. Mine was supposedly replaced last year, according to the dealer that sold me the boat. Ran perfectly all season and I never suspected any issues. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago as a preventative measure and the impeller had missing blade parts. Glad I looked.

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK I have a question regarding changing the impellor on my 1981 MC I/O 4.0 140 hp. How big of a job is this. Mine doesn't show any problems, but I know sooner or later I will have to change mine out. Does this require you to pull the lower unit. I have been reading posts about doing that. Is this something that I can do in my shop by myself, do I need a chain fall or hoist. Just looking for a opinion on degree of difficulty.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

8x56mn,it is best to do your own post.You will get many more direct replies that way.If your drive is a mercr. alpha or pre alpha,it is a pretty straight forward job,fairly easy change to do.The drive has some weight to it so the use of a hoist really depends on you.I have never used one but can see where it would be hard to handle for many.

Bondo

Staff member

The Whole Outdrive weights 80lbs,..........<br /><br />The lowerunit is just alittle Soggy,.... Maybe 1/2 the Total,.... Or Less.......<br /><br />I think the Mercstuff website has a Pretty Good walk thru of the Whole Deal........<br /><br />Overall,... It's a 3,....... Realigning All the pieces for the Last 1/2" going Back together is the Only Real Sticklier...........<br /><br />Sorry Charlie,............ ;) You're Right,.... This Should be a new thread,.........<br />But,.... I recently discovered that 8X56 is an Ole' HomeBoy,...... That I haven't met Yet...... :D

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry and thanks, I'll remember next time.