Impeller Replacement

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Impeller Replacement

I have used the SIERRA brand, never had any problems. Have heard of MALLORY, but they are not sold at the parts places I deal with so I have no experience with them.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Good luck with your pump replacement.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck with your pump replacement.

I have to admit that right now the argument going on in my head is if I should try doing it or take it to a shop .... I've never undertaken such a project and as the saying goes there is nothing but fear holding me back .... that said, the fear side is putting up a pretty intense struggle .. :redface:

Jim

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on your motor it shouldnt be too bad. I was in the same "boat" as you were with my motor. I scared the crap out of me but i needed to change mine and financially I couldnt stand the thought of paying someone to do it. I dove into it and it was really easy to do. I have a repair manual and as long as you follow that a monkey could do it. I have a 120 v4 looper. Ive been told most water pumps are the same procedure. The only thing that you can possibly mess up is bending the shaft so just take extra caution when you pull the lower unit from the main case. Its easy to take off and not bend thats just the worst case scenario. Anything else that goes wrong can be fixed easily by any one on here or a mechanic if you decide your in over your head. As far as brand, I went with OEM. It was instock at the local marina. paid a little extra for the convenience and for it to last a little longer than the aftermarket counter part.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I was in the same "boat" as you were with my motor. I scared the crap out of me but i needed to change mine and financially I couldnt stand the thought of paying someone to do it.

As far as brand, I went with OEM. It was instock at the local marina. paid a little extra for the convenience and for it to last a little longer than the aftermarket counter part.

earlier today I drove to the nearest Evinrude dealership, gave them the specs on our outboard, and requested an estimate for them to replace the impeller .... the good news is, while it was close, my wife didn't have to dial 911 .... bottom line, well before the estimate approached $300, I decided to give it a try .... guess I should have asked about the cost of OEM parts but with the way he was rattling off all of the items that would need to be replaced, I didn't dare .... for me this will be a winter/early spring project so I have plenty of time to read, reread, reread, reread the manual I bought with the motor back in '04 and haven't looked at since

Jim

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

You are going to lose time on the water by putting her up this year. You might think about ordering the part from your chair and save that gas for your boat. You could look at the top of this page, just for luck. It is like anything else fear of the unknown. :)

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

You are going to lose time on the water by putting her up this year. You might think about ordering the part from your chair and save that gas for your boat. You could look at the top of this page, just for luck. It is like anything else fear of the unknown. :)

hopefully the weather will cooperate and we won't have to put her up for a good while.... I do plan to add Bennett Trim Tabs next month and hope to run them a while before she is winterized .... the impeller replacement is more of a preventative maintenance item .... the one in the motor is he original and with it being about 9 years old, I figure it won't hurt to install a new one .... the links in the opening post are both from this site, will probably order one of them

Jim

wolf81tx

Cadet

Changing the impeller is very easy to do. It's also one of the cheapest things you can do to save a very expensive engine. Make sure you check the housing and bottom plate for warping and wear. You can usually find a compleat water pump kit for under $50. I can assume you have a manual already if not get one. You can search youtube. They have videos that people and even mechanics have posted of them changing the impeller on various engines. That might help you feel better about the project. As far as which kit to use. The answer is either one. Both Sierra and Mallory are name brands. Sierra is usually a little cheaper. The only difference that I have found between their to compleat kits are Sierra's pump housing is white and Mallory's is black. Both have all the gaskets and O-rings you may or may not need. Remember these kits cover several year models and have differents gaskets to cover the diference between them. Just put the same type in as you take out. Both kits function well. Just remember the impeller is only designed to last 3 years max. Have I seen people go longer? Yes. Do I? No. That impeller may be the cheapest part on the engine but it is also the most important.

Bama Hound

Seaman Apprentice

I had one of those "AAAHHH HHHAAA" moments while changing impeller last time. I hope this will help somebody. It is kind of tricky to try to compress veins of impeller to get them to start inside pump housing. You get two in and one "jumps" back out. It gets to be a challenge of manual dexterity. I took a plastic wire tie and put it around the veins of the impeller and tightened it to compress the veins , smaller than the diameter of the housing ,making sure the veins were pointed the direction of old one. Then slide the tie toward the housing side. This will get veins started in housing. Then push impeller in and tie will slide off as impeller enters housing. Piece of cake.

My internet connection is slow and I wish I could view You Tube stuff, but I can't.Probably just as good a method shown there. This worked great for me and wanted to share.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

This will get veins started in housing. Then push impeller in and tie will slide off as impeller enters housing. Piece of cake.

outstanding .... I will most certainly keep this in mind .... suggestion appreciated

Jim