impeller replacement

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 5hp Johnson Model J5RSS made 11/99 which has decided to stop pumping any water. It seems to blow a fair bit of air out the telltale but no water. I'm assuming this is the impellers fault. I tried today to drop the lower part of the leg off it with the engine upside down but I can only get it to come out about 2 inches. I undid almost every bolt I could find but it made no difference. What is the tecnique for getting the gearbox out? It was in neutral and I jiggled it a fair bit without getting too violent. thanks...

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: impeller replacement

look on the exhaust housing for a rubber plug,under thet plug is the shift shaft disconnect..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what muskrat said. The connector is a two piece clamp with a bolt through it that clamps down on the the upper and lower shift rods. Losen the bolt to remove the clamp and the lower unit will drop off.

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I can see the plug. I'll probably post again when I can't get it back on....

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

some of em you have to take the bolt all the way out to get the rod out of the coupler..

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, all went well and in time for my weekend away. The motor is for a 10ft aluminium cartopper dinghy which I tke away on top of my tent trailer. Got me out fishing and back again and I even gave a couple of bikini clad girls a lift up the river to the shops so I owe you one...

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, all went well and in time for my weekend away. The motor is for a 10ft aluminium cartopper dinghy which I tke away on top of my tent trailer. Got me out fishing and back again and I even gave a couple of bikini clad girls a lift up the river to the shops so I owe you one...