Impeller replacement on a 1963 Johnson 18 horse?

caj404

Cadet
Someone please tell me how to locate and replace the impeller on my 1963 Johnson 18hp. This may be out of my league. I have looked everywhere for it.

Blake Hearn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Impeller replacement on a 1963 Johnson 18 horse?

I was recently in your situation. I have a 1971 18 hp Evinrude. Youll have to take the lower unit completely off there is one bolt on the top and four on the underside. After that youll have to take out two screws that hold a plate on the right side of the motor. Inside there will be two bolts, remove them both. Then you can move the shift lever and wiggle the lower unit out. There will be three screws holding the impeller housing on and under that will be your impeller. I believe it will be close to the same on yours but im not sure. This is how i got to mine. Either way, this will get you close. Ill attach some pictures for you.

HPIM2121.jpg

HPIM2120.jpg

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

second note: if the water tube comes out attached to the lower unit, you will have to take it off and reseat it in the exhaust housing. failure to do so will result in inadequate circulation

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That about sums it up. Except for I would only remove the lower shifter linkage screw. There is no need to take out the upper one. And it must be totally removed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to the iboats world!! ;)

Your faith being well founded..... please get a manual for your motor ;)

Replacing the impellar is intimidating at the beginning however, once you do it you will realize it is not that bad.

The little side plate covers a brass coupler (which activates your shift linkage)

I have found that to be the most annoying part of the job..... that lower screw must come out completely. Now the chance of you dropping that screw into the motor is HIGH but don't fear when that happens. When you separate the lower unit the screw will be right there and fall out ;)

caj404

Cadet

Thanks you guy's. I tried both of those spots yesterday but not at the same time. Now it makes sense why the bottom would not fall free from the top. I will try it again in the morning with my newfound knowledge. Does the manual go into this type of detail Bob? I have a book with pictures of each part and parts numbers specifically for this motor. Pulled it from the internet. Probably not the manual huh?