Impeller Replacement 175 Mariner EFI Magnum

eng208

Seaman
Just ordered the complete impeller kit from Iboats for my Mariner. Best I can tell, it is a 1993. Seems there are a couple of discrepancies in the serial number lookup links I found. Some list it as a 1991, others list it as a 1993. It is on a 1992 boat.LOL
I know it was placed on boat after purchase due to it not being mounted just right and having previous holes in the transom. The previous owner states he bought it new and that is the motor that he bought on the boat, but not sure how honest he was. Anyway, I know the motor was worked over in 2011 due to sitting and the owner not being able to start it. It received new filters, fuel lines and the lower unit appears to have been off fairly recently. When I went to view it last year in preparation to buy it, the motor would not start due to a bad battery. The owner put it in the shop and they replaced one of the power packs, battery, switch and alarm. I wondered why they only replaced one pack, and wound up replacing both about a month after buying it, but that is another story.

Anyway, am going to replace the impeller soon and just wondering if there are any tips on making the job go hassle free. It doesn't appear to have any corrosion, but I also know how stubborn some lower units can be to separation. I have never replaced a pump on a unit this big before.

I also ordered a complete bimini top for the boat from Iboats.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Impeller Replacement 175 Mariner EFI Magnum

If you send me the s/n of your engine as well as an email address, I will see if I have a service manual for you.

Gerry

eng208

Seaman
Re: Impeller Replacement 175 Mariner EFI Magnum

fixed picture.jpgBeen meaning to thank you Gerry, but I have been busy boating every chance when not working. LOL! The manual was great!
Impeller was a piece of cake. I took it apart several times thinking I had forgotten something! I replaced the whole housing since I didn't know exactly how old mine was. It had very little wear on it, but being the motor is twenty years old with spotty service hx, I figured it was good to replace it. The impeller was dated 3-11, so it was very old. It was already pretty hardened though. The top fit great also!
Thanks again.