Impeller doesnt fit... 73 Evinrude Fisherman....

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I opened her up today to change out the thermostat, and the impeller. the first problem afetr I opened it up, the PO tightened the water pump housing so much, he cracked the plastic housing where it bolts down. I open it up anyway and the impeller inside is much smaller than the one I got here. I compared part numbers, and they sent the right part, but the impeller inside the motor is alot smaller and fits in the cover like it should. The one they sent me looks like it would need a different cover to make it fit. Then I open the thermostat housing and it looks like the original t-stat inside. Its green, brown, rusty, siezed up. I scraped the inside of the housing to get all the gunk out. what a mess. I have no idea how water even passed through this thing. I need a new t-stat housing gasket now too. I figured the deal was too good. Finally I found a 3/4" crack in the prop. I thought it was paint cracked, but its the same crack on the back in the same spot. Any help on the impeller housing issue, impeller size, and t-stat housing gasket would be appreciated.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Impeller doesnt fit... 73 Evinrude Fisherman....

For the housing try Ebay since you already have the impeller, you can get a complete kit with housing but should be able to find just the housing on Ebay.

The impeller is suppose to be pretty big, the old one was probly just really badly worn, the blades look like they ae 1/2'' to long but that si correct, you want to sort of '"screw" it into the housing and match the engines rotation.

As for the gasket, any auto parts store has sheet gasket, just trace the housing and where the holes are and make your own and you are installine a new tstat yes?

The prop needs to go to a prop shop or to recycling, all you can do with a cracked prop is repair it by welding or throw it away, JB Weld or any of that stuff won't work on a prop if that is what you were thinking

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 6hp water pump was changed in 1979. The new version has a plastic housing with a stainless steel liner, and a smaller impeller.

The original water pump kit (with housing) for your motor is no longer made. It is replaced with the 1979 version. I'd say that is what is in your motor. The solution is simple....use the 1979 parts list.

Parts list and exploded view is at www.marineengine.com

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the housing try Ebay since you already have the impeller, you can get a complete kit with housing but should be able to find just the housing on Ebay.

The impeller is suppose to be pretty big, the old one was probly just really badly worn, the blades look like they ae 1/2'' to long but that si correct, you want to sort of '"screw" it into the housing and match the engines rotation.

As for the gasket, any auto parts store has sheet gasket, just trace the housing and where the holes are and make your own and you are installine a new tstat yes?

The prop needs to go to a prop shop or to recycling, all you can do with a cracked prop is repair it by welding or throw it away, JB Weld or any of that stuff won't work on a prop if that is what you were thinking

Yes I am replacing the t-stat. The old one is definitly shot. 10-4 on the gasket paper, I was hoping I could buy one, but I'll cut one out... No biggie. The waterpump impeller is a completely different size, its not worn, Its just a different style. I'll prolly just buy a new prop, this one is a 2 blade, any benefit to getting a 3 blade or is it no difference/

The 6hp water pump was changed in 1979. The new version has a plastic housing with a stainless steel liner, and a smaller impeller.

The original water pump kit (with housing) for your motor is no longer made. It is replaced with the 1979 version. I'd say that is what is in your motor. The solution is simple....use the 1979 parts list.

Parts list and exploded view is at www.marineengine.com

Yea, this has definitly been replaced with the '79 part. Its a plastic housing, stainless liner and a much smaller pump inside. why would they change this to a smaller pump?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that same water pump kit, with the splastic housing is usable on the old 6's and 5.5's all the way back to 1954. 1979 was the last year of the old style midsection. The 6 was completely re-designed in 1980 The 7.5 was brought back for four years 1980-83 and I believe the 8 horse was built from 1980 on as well.

I think you'll do well with that motor, once you get those little things taken care of. They are great motors. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry, the smaller pump pumps just as much water, if not more. And the stainless liner doesn't wear out like the old aluminum ones did. Pretty much all of the newer motors have the plastic/stainless housings. It's just better.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, that same water pump kit, with the splastic housing is usable on the old 6's and 5.5's all the way back to 1954. 1979 was the last year of the old style midsection. The 6 was completely re-designed in 1980 The 7.5 was brought back for four years 1980-83 and I believe the 8 horse was built from 1980 on as well.

I think you'll do well with that motor, once you get those little things taken care of. They are great motors. :)

Don't worry, the smaller pump pumps just as much water, if not more. And the stainless liner doesn't wear out like the old aluminum ones did. Pretty much all of the newer motors have the plastic/stainless housings. It's just better.

Thanks guys, thats reassuring.

My biggest problem is finding the parts. I had to buy the housing on ebay, no one else had it. As for the impeller, I'm not sure what part number to order.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The water pump repair kit (everything; including the housing, gaskets plate and impeller) is PN 0763758. It is the plastic one.

The impeller alone for the plastic housing pump is 0763735
The "original" impeller is 0434424

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Adding to that truth, the 1979 impeller was 387361, replaced by 0763735. Sierra number is 18-3090, available right here at iboats

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The water pump repair kit (everything; including the housing, gaskets plate and impeller) is PN 0763758. It is the plastic one.

The impeller alone for the plastic housing pump is 0763735
The "original" impeller is 0434424

Adding to that truth, the 1979 impeller was 387361, replaced by 0763735. Sierra number is 18-3090, available right here at iboats

Thanks for the part numbers... I was most concerned with the '79 style being the right one.