Impeller Change - Perfect Seal

acerussi

Recruit
I'm changing out my impeller on an Alpha Gen II. I've followed the directions to the letter and didn't have any problems. My marine store which usually has given me excellent advice told me that instead of using the Perfect Seal on the large hole gasket as recommended in the manual, I can just use 2 4 C lube as I already had it and it's much, much cheaper. That's what I have done but am just looking for some advice that that is a suitable substitution. I haven't filled it back up with gear lube yet, and just want to be sure the 2 4 C will work before finisihing up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Impeller Change - Perfect Seal

I'm changing out my impeller on an Alpha Gen II. I've followed the directions to the letter and didn't have any problems. My marine store which usually has given me excellent advice told me that instead of using the Perfect Seal on the large hole gasket as recommended in the manual, I can just use 2 4 C lube as I already had it and it's much, much cheaper. That's what I have done but am just looking for some advice that that is a suitable substitution. I haven't filled it back up with gear lube yet, and just want to be sure the 2 4 C will work before finisihing up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Can ya define that gasket abit better,..??

The 1 under the pump housing,..??

The quad-ring, 'tween the upper, 'n lower,..??

The water passage o-ring on the gimbel housin',..??

acerussi

Recruit

I actually mistyped in the original post, it's the small hole gasket, not the large. When replacing, first you put on the small hole gasket, then the metal plate, the large hole gasket and then the impeller and housing. The bottom most gasket (the small hole gasket) is supposed to have perfect seal to make sure water can't get through and out of the housing. I'm wondering if 2 4 C lube is an acceptable substitute for the perfect seal. I'm told by my marine store that it's totally fine but just want solicite some other advice. By the way, they sell perfect seal, so they're actually trying to save me money so their intentions I'm sure are good.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the gasket leaks, when you get on plane, the pump will suck air and cause an overheat. If the surface of the drive is smooth and not corroded, grease will work fine.
The corroded drives are typically found on salt water boats. Not much of a problem with fresh water boats. Have no idea what you boat in.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you're interested in the future for a solution that requires no type of sealer or grease, Mercury makes a 1 piece "faceplate" that replaces the 3 gaskets you now use. It is part number 866233001, around $10 depending on where you buy and is included in the full water pump rebuild oem kit part number 817275q05: this kit shows being for alpha and vazer drives. I found the 1 piece "faceplate" has a rubberized bottom, metal mid-section, then rubber edge lip that the pump housing fits over and impossible to not align properly; no sealer/grease needed and not mentioned in the install instructions. I did use 2 alignment pins (91-821571A1) and installation was a breeze since there is no 3 gaskets or weep hole to worry about getting out of alignment.

Mark