Impeller bits and pieces?

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was looking through my Seloc manual for my 65' Chrysler 35hp Sea King. I decided to go out and familiarize myself a little better with my motor after the review. I have been having problems with forward power and was reading up on timing and coil information. I was checking out the hose that runs from the exhaust cover to the thermostat. I noticed that there was something inside the hose (the hose is clear of course). I disconnected one side and shook it out into my hand. It was a piece of black rubber with no destinctive shape. Seloc includes in their manuals a series of pictures that show your water pump's impeller at different RPM's w/ different time frames, running WITHOUT water. This piece of black rubber about 3/8 long x 1/8 round (more like squarish...maybe even torn off looking) looked to me like it might belong to one of the outer fingers of the impeller. All though I have never run the motor without water, it is likely that it is flying apart due to age. What do you all think?<br />Sounds like it is time for an overhaul?

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Impeller bits and pieces?

Maybe not just yet. Do a check on your compression first. Are you getting water-exhaust out the motor leg exhaust cover at idle? I assume you're going to pull the LU and check your impeller.While you're at it , you might want to R&R your LU shift seal, prop shaft seal and drive shaft seal. Take a picture of the shift linkage before disconnecting it. I would also take the flywheel off and check the points. One set of mine wasn't opening(1970 55hp magneto). NAPA might have a new set. I wouldn't mess with the timing unless you do it word for word of the Seloc manual. When you're at idle, can you put your hand on the head of the engine just behind the flywheel and not get burned?

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Scotiany. Yeah, I do have water/exhaust out motor leg exh cover at idle. I was thinging that I might need to pull LU and inspect H2O pump. I am almost certain that all seals are up for replacing.....this is where I get nervious cause I was told that seals and what not or next to impossible to find anymore. Scotiany, can I just walk into NAPA and tell the the year/make of my o/b and they will have a list of compatable points for me :) ? I will have to check for head warmth at idle. I am assuming then that if heat is tolerable to the bare hand then water pump is functioning well enough even though impeller might have some degree of damage?

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also just bought a set of Flush Muffs to make tuning a bit easier than the big yard debree can the I have been using. Can you tell me what the limits are for using flush muffs while trying to trouble shoot engine repairs? I would think that running WOT is a NO NO being that the prop is exposed? HEHE Man I feel like such a newbie.....Oh wait I really am actually ;) Thanks again

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NAPA has LU seal kit for yours. The prop shaft seal is easy to change without removing LU. Removing LU isn't that hard to do.If you're using muffs , don't put it in gear. As for the points, I got a new set at boatingsolutions.com. They came with 2 new condensers too. About$35.When you pull flywheel, make sure you use a bolt on puller. Don't clamp anything over the teeth or you'll ruin your flywheel.