impeller and hot motor

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: impeller and hot motor

You might want to recheck your water pump impeller. Running it without water for 5 - 10 minutes may have damaged it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

She's pumpin now!!! yaaaayyyy. Now I'm outta gas. be back shortly to let ya know how it turned out.

That was quick! As stated, they do not do well when run dry.

bob519

Cadet

That was quick! As stated, they do not do well when run dry.

Still putting out lot's of water. I pulled it open and checked the impeller and it looks good. The engine doesn't get hot anymore, but the lower still does. Too hot to touch even. I pulled the bottom end open and everything looks ok and turns fine, but there is water mixed in with the gear oil. The vertical shaft is worn a bit where it passes thru the top seal as indicated by the attached pic. I wonder it that if where the water is getting thru. It is also leaking gear oil for some reason. Is there a gasket that goes where the two lower halves meet just below the linkage window?

IMAG0318.jpg
IMAG0314.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No gasket there, not necessary.

The water intrusion is happening at 1 or all of the following locations.

Drain and vent screw gaskets (they are crush washers, only use them once)
Drive shaft seal
Prop shaft seal
shift rod seal
spaghetti seal at skeg halves

How bad was it leaking? I have never personally seen a gearcase get that hot from running temporarily in a barrel.

bob519

Cadet

It's leaking pretty bad. Bad enough I wouldn't put it on the water and get so far I couldn't paddle back. Both drain and vent screws have new washers and didn't appear to be leaking. spaghetti seal looked ok too. I didn't know there was a shift rod seal, not sure I got one with my kit, but I'll take a look at it. Drive shaft seal could be the one though. I'm not sure that I have a good seal due to the wear on it. I think the prop shaft seal should be ok. Like I said, it appeared to be leaking from where the lower bolts to the rest of the engine. Does the hollow area above the water pump fill with water when it is running?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If it leaks out of there that is fine. It is just spent cooling water at that point.

The shift rod seal is a fat little o ring. It is serviced by driving out the bushing which holds it in place.

SO you resealed the gearcase except for the shift rod seal, the rest of the seals I mentioned are new?

If you put a new drive shaft seal on, and it is still leaking badly due to a worn shaft, I would personally get a good used shaft. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize. You could try a sleeve, but have never tried on myself.

bob519

Cadet

Oh that's what that funny fat little "O" ring is for. Good thing I saved it. Yes, I resealed the gearcase and the fat little o ring was the only thing left over. everything else is new. I even replaced the two prop shaft bearings. There is a good bit of slop in the driveshaft so maybe I'll see if I can find a good used one.

bob519

Cadet

If it leaks out of there that is fine. It is just spent cooling water at that point.

The shift rod seal is a fat little o ring. It is serviced by driving out the bushing which holds it in place.

SO you resealed the gearcase except for the shift rod seal, the rest of the seals I mentioned are new?

If you put a new drive shaft seal on, and it is still leaking badly due to a worn shaft, I would personally get a good used shaft. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize. You could try a sleeve, but have never tried on myself.

I assume the shift rod bushing drives out the bottom. I can't locate any type of lock rings or set screws holding it in, but I cannot get it to budge. is there a trick to getting this out?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is driven out. You either need to fabricate a special tool, or purchase one from F_R on this forum.

THe following pics will help you picture it.

RnR_SRB.jpg
021.jpg

018.jpg

022.jpg

bob519

Cadet

Thanks so much for the tip. I was able to get it out and install the new "o" ring. Everything is back together and we'll see if leaks this afternoon. Been spending the last month or so sanding and painting. attached are a couple pics of my progress.boat after.jpg