Impact gun on flywheel nut and puller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
In my younger days, absolutely I screwed up a couple flywheels, and crank's doing just what you are doing.
Funny how buying the right tool for the job makes a world of difference! Even if you think you may be never needing the tool again, you will find yourself reaching for it again.

How did you tell they were screwed up? I think mines ok because it wasn’t torqued much to begin with so it took less force to get it off, my impact was just low on battery that’s why it took so long to get it off haha

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
How did you tell they were screwed up? I think mines ok because it wasn’t torqued much to begin with so it took less force to get it off, my impact was just low on battery that’s why it took so long to get it off haha

Well, on one I overtightend the flywheel, to a point it was hitting the coils. Yup, squished the taper. Of course it tore up everything, as it fired up for a few seconds. Another I wrecked the end/threads from hammering improperly. Young and dumb? A smart man learns from his mistakes, a dumb man repeats his mistakes hoping for a different result.....

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, on one I overtightend the flywheel, to a point it was hitting the coils. Yup, squished the taper. Of course it tore up everything, as it fired up for a few seconds. Another I wrecked the end/threads from hammering improperly. Young and dumb? A smart man learns from his mistakes, a dumb man repeats his mistakes hoping for a different result.....

Wow!! Luckily I didn’t do anything that bad! But what is the correct way to hammer? I tapped lightly on the side and top off my flywheel to get it to break off its taper is that ok to do? (had the correct puller on there just needed it to break free)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Wow!! Luckily I didn’t do anything that bad! But what is the correct way to hammer? I tapped lightly on the side and top off my flywheel to get it to break off its taper is that ok to do? (had the correct puller on there just needed it to break free)

You hit the puller, never hit the flywheel itself. The one I wrecked the thread on I didn't have a puller then. Prying up on the flywheel, hitting the crank itself. Idiot. Yup, I was an idiot. Lol

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
To clear some confusion....Its OK to use a impact on flywheels with cast in magnets, you NEVER use a impact on glued magnets such as a 40amp system as they will break...If you use the correct puller and bolts it will not pull thread. If using a universal one use a nut to lock the bolt against flywheel after it bottoms.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Regardless of what you use for a puller, lube the threads on the puller. It will be easier to torque down, and last a whole lot longer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I lightly tapped the side of the flywheel with a wood hammer to get it to pop free is that bad?

Nope, That depends on which motor brand you're working on and how stuck is the flywheel. I always use a flywheel puller. Those Tohatsu flywheels which have glued magnets are really expensive..

Happy Boating

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nope, That depends on which motor brand you're working on and how stuck is the flywheel. I always use a flywheel puller. Those Tohatsu flywheels which have glued magnets are really expensive..

Happy Boating

I’ve got the harbor freight puller it seems to work good, I had to get some grade 8 bolts in the right size

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
To clear some confusion....Its OK to use a impact on flywheels with cast in magnets, you NEVER use a impact on glued magnets such as a 40amp system as they will break...If you use the correct puller and bolts it will not pull thread. If using a universal one use a nut to lock the bolt against flywheel after it bottoms.

I have a 1964 3hp Yachtwin, are those cast or glued magnets

wdirnbeck

Seaman Apprentice
Only thing I would like to add here is that I don't use a strap wrench...I use rope coiled up in the top cylinder through the spark plug hole to lock the flywheel/motor. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but it works for me.
God bless you for this reply. Working on an old starflite 75 horse and could not for the life of me find a way to hold the flywheel in place. All I had was an old towel so I ripped that up and did what you did and it worked like charm. Glad I came across this thread I would’ve never thought of this and I was getting ready to resort to a borrowed impact gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.